Unlocking a mac

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

New Luddism. Awake and resist!
Reaction score
We've inherited a nice mac from a recently deceased cousin but have no password etc.
Is there an easy way around this?
We don't want to wipe her material we want to know what she was up to, she's been around the world doing all sorts of interesting things and there'll be photos , emails etc.

Very very tricky. These systems are pretty tightly locked down. You'll need a lot more than just good luck. If you have access to the previous owners Apple id you might get there... It's also worth investigating trying to reset the login password via "recovery mode", though on more recent MacBooks where FileVault is enabled by default, this doesn't work.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202860#:~:text=Click the option to reset,ID) to unlock your disk.
...we want to know what she was up to...

...precisely the reason they're so tightly secured.

Last edited:
Apple has a process for this, but there are a few levels of process:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208510
If you just want to delete the Apple ID (which would allow you to format the Mac and set it up as a new one without getting stuck on the activation lock), you can do that pretty easily with a copy of the death certificate.

If you want actual access to the Apple ID so that you can login as your cousin and access the data, you'll need a court order - which will be easy to get if you are the beneficiary of your cousin's estate (or the mac specifically). Apple are pretty tight on privacy, and you'll need to prove you have the right to access the deceased person's data - just being a relative isn't enough in Apple's view, you need to prove the deceased intended you to have access.

If your cousin added you to the AppleID as a legacy contact before they died, you can get access easily here (but I'm guessing not if you're asking this question):
https://digital-legacy.apple.com/
If you have access to your cousins e-mail account, then use the Forgot Password option at iCloud.com to get a reset link - that's the easiest way.

I suspect the executor will have some luck without needing a court order per se, just official confirmation of their position. If it's good enough to tidy up financial affairs I would think Apple will be happy with it. I don't really know what that means, it's not something I've ever had to do, but the executor is the first person I'd talk to if there is some locked up value as opposed to nosyness.

Apple has a process for this, but there are a few levels of process:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208510
If you just want to delete the Apple ID (which would allow you to format the Mac and set it up as a new one without getting stuck on the activation lock), you can do that pretty easily with a copy of the death certificate.

If you want actual access to the Apple ID so that you can login as your cousin and access the data, you'll need a court order - which will be easy to get if you are the beneficiary of your cousin's estate (or the mac specifically). Apple are pretty tight on privacy, and you'll need to prove you have the right to access the deceased person's data - just being a relative isn't enough in Apple's view, you need to prove the deceased intended you to have access.

If your cousin added you to the AppleID as a legacy contact before they died, you can get access easily here (but I'm guessing not if you're asking this question):
https://digital-legacy.apple.com/
If you have access to your cousins e-mail account, then use the Forgot Password option at iCloud.com to get a reset link - that's the easiest way.
Thanks for this; I’ve been an Apple user for ~20 years and had no idea about the legacy contact; now in place. 👍

A crowbar and an estwing? That unlocks quite a few things 🤷‍♂️
Where do you live? You could look out for a local street gang, chuck them 50 quid and a bottle of white lightning, they'll have it done in no time 😆

A crowbar and an estwing? That unlocks quite a few things 🤷‍♂️
Where do you live? You could look out for a local street gang, chuck them 50 quid and a bottle of white lightning, they'll have it done in no time 😆
Typical Devonian lad, nothing subtle!
Try paring chisel better control and sharpness esp if Jacob or D_W sharpens it!

I know the thought of parting with some dough is hard for some, but surely if it's that important it would be better to find someone used to doing this sort of thing?
Sadly you very unlikely - no matter how much cash you part with. The disk is encrypted if it's anything in the last 5yrs (so even using it on another mac\PC won't get you access to it).

You could test if it's encrypted by removing the hard disk, popping into a cheap (MAC specific) USB enclosure and see it another MAC will read it. If it reads it - bingo. If it wants encryption keys - not happening.

If Jacob wanted to "wipe" and use it - that's straight forward but IIRC, he wants the content on it and that's not possible.

The last thing I would want when I die is some nosey relatives poking into my mac!! 🤥. I must make sure it’s properly encrypted 😀

I'm looking at this

The strategies he suggests might or might not work. As others have said it very much depends on whether the local disk is encrypted or not. If it's an older machine with a removable hard disc it might be possible to take the disc out and read with another machine - not necessarily another Mac, Linux can read (unencrypted) Mac discs.
If the disc is encrypted the only recourse is to persuade Apple that you have legal right to the data.
Robin.

Back