Unknown Lathe. Any Idea's ???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am right to get my friend to turn the shaft to 3/4 inch 16 tpi standard whitworth arn't I ? He asked for more info than just 3/4 " 16 tpi...

Timsk":1o1ljw8f said:
I am right to get my friend to turn the shaft to 3/4 inch 16 tpi standard whitworth arn't I ? He asked for more info than just 3/4 " 16 tpi...

Good question! This did occur to me last night. 3/4" x 16 TPI is an unusual thread, other than for lathes. However, the important thing is the thread form, which for most imperial threads is 55 deg. with rounded top and bottom which is known as Whitworth form, however if your mate is cutting it on a lathe he will probably only be able to give you a "sharp edge" form, which might mean that you need to attack the O/D with a file after it's been cut.

Why not ask this guy, he should be able to give you the definitive answer.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/

Timsk":1p2qf85b said:

Watch out, check a 16 TPI Chuck or faceplate check if it's UNF.

3/4" 16TPI is a UNF Standard and will have 60deg thread angle not 55 deg as in whitworth.

UNF/UNC Chart

3/4" whitworth is 10 TPI

Cheers CHJ. They were going to re-thread the shaft next week for me ! Good job they didn't have time to do it straight away. I've just sent a text to update my friend on this.
I've confirmed what you've said on
http://www.recordpower-thetoolshop.com/ ... NF_RH.html
Where it states UNF RH. Thanks for that. I didn't even think of looking on Chuck inserts to see if they had the correct info.

Again thanks. Could have been left having to re cut a whole new shaft. Ta !

Hi Timsk

Don't forget that there is more to a lathe spindle than just the thread. It is also important that the register, the straight bit of the spindle nose to the left of the thread, is the correct length and diameter. The shoulder should also be at 90 degrees to the spindle and the threaded portion needs to be the right length!

The correct alignment shoulder dimensions are shown in My link (26/06) in case you missed it
Edit: sorry Timsk. see you had already taken info. on board, missed your reference.

As Cign says, it is the shoulder spigot that controls the chuck alignment, not the thread.

Well just as an update. I got the spindle back today, looks great turned down to 3/4 inch 16 tpi. I got another face plate and it fits perfectly. I'm now all ready to go, just need to re-attach and line -up. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to me getting this right and making my lathe much more versatile. Just on the lookout now for a jaws chuck to fit on the plate but I have lot's of things I can be making without one for the moment. Cheer's y'll.

glad its sorted :) if its any help axminster sell a little chuck set with 4 different jaws and a screw. and for the price (£80) its a pretty desent set to get you going, i know, i have one, and its done everything ive wanted it from it, it has its limits like most things but you can do spindle turning in different sizes, and i can hold bowls well.

Timsk":2u2a1ru0 said:
...... Just on the lookout now for a jaws chuck to fit on the plate ......

Timsk, you should not have to mount a chuck on a adaptor (face) plate like on a metal working lathe.

Woodworking Chucks are available with the correct thread to fit your machined spindle directly.

Latest posts

Back