UNIMAT 3.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amakah

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, Can anyone tell me how the unimat 3 laths perform on steel as I am thinking of buying one and have found out that the wattage of the motor does not seem very high. Thank you.

Hello, Can anyone tell me how the unimat 3 laths perform on steel as I am thinking of buying one and have found out that the wattage of the motor does not seem very high. Thank you.
To some extent that will depend upon how you use it. You're not going to be able to take a 10mm wide cut from a 20mm dia. 316 Stainless bar ! but then, I can't do that on my Myford S7 either :unsure: - you will be able to take 0.5mm or so off EN1a.

There are so many varieties of 'Steel' that the obvious answer is simply 'it depends'.

You could re-post in the general metalworking forum a bit further down the list. There are people here who turn wood and metal, but the real metal experts hang out there. I've always liked to look of the unimat kit but never bought one for the same reason - is it a 'proper' machine.

I have two of them now and the wattage is too low for what I want to do I have just contacted a company for a quote for 3 200+ watt motors and speed controls so as soon as I have them I would be able to report back how it goes.

You need to remember they are a small lathe and are really for small work so take small cuts.

You could re-post in the general metalworking forum a bit further down the list. There are people here who turn wood and metal, but the real metal experts hang out there. I've always liked to look of the unimat kit but never bought one for the same reason - is it a 'proper' machine.
As with all equipment, it is a 'proper' machine - within its design limitations (and the ability of the operator). It is certainly capable of producing small components in Steel, Brass, Alum, Bronze etc. particularly clock parts, which many users do when they can't warrant the purchace of a Boley :ROFLMAO:

As @Phill05 has pointed out - it is relatively easy to change the motor, should you ever concider it necessary.

I have the SL1000. Nice machine and produces very accurate work. I use mine for clock repairs. Main problem with them out of the box is the motor, which is underpowered and, on the SL at least, not rated for continuous use. So it can only run for 10 minutes or so before you have to stop and let it cool down. Very simple to change it for a more powerful motor with variable speed control. Great advantage of it is it can run very fast, which is what you need for machining small parts, particularly in brass. But it is very small, so you can only really take very light cuts, particularly in steel. Never tried stainless in it but that would be an even slower process. I run mine using an independent 4 jaw chuck, and have ER8 collet holders, and drill chucks for both ends so can hold most things I need to. They are really aimed at model makers, and widely used by hobby clock repairers like me, who could never justify the cost of a proper watchmakers lathe. So if you want to make very small parts accurately it is a very good machine. If you want to do more general metal working then you really want something bigger. Mine looks similar to the pic with a 200W motor. There are firms who sell ready made conversion kits for eyewatering money, or you can buy the parts and do it yourself for about 70 quid. Would be helpful if we had some idea what you actually want to use it for.

Attachments

• OIP.jpeg
    OIP.jpeg
    12 KB · Views: 0
Hello, Thank you for the information, It was most helpful. I need something a bit bigger. I have a friend who has a Warco 180 so I will have a look at that.

I was going to say you could do worse than a Chinese mini lathe. You will either find it does everything you want, or you will get bitten and soon need something bigger or better! Either way they are not a bad starting point for not much money. The are a myriad articles and videos out there detailing their good and bad points, and numerous ways to improve them if you need to. No where near as good as some of the old British and American machines, but no where near the price either, at least for a good one. Have fun whatever you go for in the end.

Latest posts

Back