mmm help needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboy682

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all
just wondering if you can change the motor on a record cl2 lathe to a newer motor. let me explain, l shall be getting one soon and there is no speed setting on it and being new to lathes, will l need on or am l just being fussy, l am disable to consider or is there a alternative. thanks for your advice

You have iirc four (if not, three) speeds via the pulleys so don't worry about it. If it limits you when you've had a fair crack at it, put the money towards a trade up. Electronic variable speed (or even a reeves) is nice but not essential, many people don't ever get a variable speed machine.

Var speed is a luxury I have never had so never missed it. In about 20 years of turning I have never stood at the lathe wishing I had elect var speed. The record lathes speed change is easy enough to manage. I would also say the old step pulley system is more reliable as there is not much that can go wrong with it.
Regards
John

but had you ever had one you'd never go back to not having it.
I dare say you are right but there is nothing wrong with the old step pulleys. I have sometimes wished for var speed on the pillar drill as the belt change on that is a bit of a fiddle and I do tend to be reluctant to change unless its a big step up in diameter.
Regards
John

This is the one that`s arriving next week
1706780215355.png

I had one of those, but the mk2 with banjo clamps..
It was a great lathe, solid, robust and easy to maintain.
I moved up to record power herald after about 3 years, as didn't need the bed length.
👍👍

Great lathe its takes only a moment to change belt/speed leave it alone. Possibly you will find a speed that suits you and it will stay there for most of a job

Find a product you like that fits your lathe -with a selection of jaws (you can buy later on) search for best price and done

Or if you are forward looking to another lathe with a different spindle thread then consider a chuck that you can change the insert so it fits a different machine.

3/4 x 16 tpi , I think that's the size , Have a look on ebay or fbook you will probably find a used one at a good price

Last edited:
Also make sure it's a 4 jaw scroll chuck. That means the jaws go in & out together rather than having to adjust them singly.

Looks like a pretty good lathe. You should be able to do most turning jobs on that. I started out with a very smaller record lathe.
Record power do lathe chucks. Axminster will have a few of various brands. Amazon, ebay and other on line outlets. Most modern chucks can be fitted with a range of different jaws for different jobs. Usually you buy a chuck with the standard jaws then get others as the need dictates but sometimes they get sold as a package with a few sets of jaws.
Happy turning
Regards
John

Back