underfloor heating

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm at the stage where i have to level the kitchen and dining room. After first i plan to fit underfloor heating before laying the limestone.

I have searches various suppliers and the mats all seem the same. Each vender does has a different style of thermostat. Can you mix the mats and thermostats from different suppliers?

Does anyone know of any good systems, and ones to stay clear off?

I would like a digital thermostat that you can control weekly.

LyNx":10d1ye5k said:
I have searches various suppliers and the mats all seem the same. Each vender does has a different style of thermostat. Can you mix the mats and thermostats from different suppliers?

I can't see any reason why you can't mix mats and thermostat..provided that the wattage rating of the mat matches or is less than the rating of the thermostat.

By thermostat, I'm assuming you are including the temperature sensor.

Be warned..underfloor heating seems to 'eat' electric units :cry:

I have fitted several of the Heatmat matts and also recently been using the Devimat as I like the look of the timer/stat more and the heat sensor comes with conduit.

Both are quite similar except the heatmat just has adhesive on the three strips of tape where the Devi is tacky all over, this helps hold it down when you need to cut & turn the matt.

As Roger says if you are using these as the only source of heating you will need deep pockets or a wind farm in the back garden :lol: I usually fit them in bathrooms and use the lower wattage matts to take the chill of the tiles.

I assume you are tiling rather than laminate/carpet as there are different flat strip mats for that use.

Jason

thanks for the info guys.

I don't plan on adding this as the primary heat source, it's really to warm the tiles. The kitchen floor at the moment is tiled and is really cold in the winter. I do plan on adding a reflective tiling board under the heater mats too.

Jason, did you screed over the mats before tiling?

I've done it several ways - selfleveler over the matt, runny adhesive over the mat or just adhesive nd tile in one go. The first two options are the easiest as the notched trowel tends to snag the wire/backing mesh.

Also don't forget to keep testing the resistance of the wire as you go just incase it gets damaged :cry:

Jason

thats one thing i'm worried about. I will be testing every 5 minutes.

I take it you may have forgot the test once?

LyNx":325tpbwx said:
I take it you may have forgot the test once?

What are you suggesting :?: :D

Actually never had a problem with one, usually put the mat down, let the adhesive/leveler go off overnight then tile the next day to avoid any risk of damage from working on the floor while the wire is exposed. The insulation is quite thick so it will take quite an effort to damage the wire.

Jason

Back