Ummm. How do you deal with this one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
My daughter's boyfriend is a really nice guy, but has an annoying habit of not washing his hands after go to the toilet :-(

My wife and I have both noticed it, but no idea what to say. It's grosd and driving us both nuts.

They are with us for a week too.

flanajb":11d8x0ka said:
My daughter's boyfriend is a really nice guy, but has an annoying habit of not washing his hands after go to the toilet :-(

My wife and I have both noticed it, but no idea what to say. It's grosd and driving us both nuts.

They are with us for a week too.

Stick up a notice in the bog saying "NOW WASH YOUR HANDS"

Just come out and ask has he washed, I sure he'll be more embarrassed that he hasn't and you noticed than you will be by asking.

Stick notice in the toilet.

'Now wash your hands'

Do you really want that standard of hygiene in the family, ructions yes, but it's better than it festering.

I can't be blunt so will ask my daughter to sort it. Out he comes and then goes in the kitchen to help himself to food :-(

Take him to one side and tell him. There's no pretty way to do it, so do it straight with no waffle and you can be as polite or as blunt as you like - to the effect of "my wife and I aren't happy about touching things like door handles when your hands have been on your **** without being washed after you use the toilet" That'll hit him like a sledgehammer, but he won't do it again. Sometimes only a sledgehammer will get the point across in a way they won't forget. Caveat, if he does do it again, tell your daughter he's no longer welcome in the household and tell her why, getting ill because of his disgusting behaviour just isn't worth it.

If he's not doing it after peeing - there's no guarentee he's doing it automatically after defecating, and if that isn't enough incentive, to get hard on him, then nothing is.

flanajb":3biycfkb said:
I can't be blunt so will ask my daughter to sort it. Out he comes and then goes in the kitchen to help himself to food :-(

I'm sorry - I really am but you're going to have to man up and deal with this if he is still doing it tommorrow - which means your daughter has avoided the issue.

Straight from the toilet into the kitchen? sorry no - not now, not ever. Do you or anyone else in your family want to get sick?

Here's an offer: give me his number and I'll be the hitman - wouldn't be the first time either, I've told people leaving public toilets to wash their hands after leaving a stall.. and I do it loud enough to make it stick.

I'm NOT a germophobe and sorry if this comes across so aggressive but I know they would not like it the other way, they just don't think of the possible consequences.

I worked in a hotel for a few decades - I suspect 80% of people don't. It has never been known to cause an outbreak of food poisoning - every major outbreak has been caused by bad storage and refrigeration of foodstuffs. Don't panic - it might be an unpleasant thought, but it won't kill you.

Just tell him go back and wash your hands you mucky sod!

The straighter and more direct will through the embarrassment straight back on his shoulders where it belongs.

Maybe it's northern thing :)

He means we don't do subtle, we tell it straight.

One of my exes was from Kent and it used to drive her mad.
The subtle thing not the other, gross.

IMHO....
Tell your daughter 'he's your guest in our home, ask him to start washing, in any style you want, blaming anyone you want, but if he doesn't you'll give him the 'do it or get out' ultimatum. I reckon that'll probably sort it.

I find that stomach churning. Why not do a role play with your daughter. Let her in on it and get her to go from bathroom to kitchen, then say 'I hope you washed your hands!' while he is in ear shot.

I remember seeing something about it on TV. After wiping your bum, even with 3 sheets the bacteria stay on your hands and are left on everything you touch.

I wash my hands after having a dump but not so much after taking a pee. It's only skin, the same as what covers the rest of your body. When I take a leak it comes out a hole in the end.Its not like it's a high pressure watering can rose and the stuffs going in all directions getting all over my hands, in my eyes over the walls. It'd be quite entertaining if it did, but generally it goes from a to b and I hold the bit that transports it to its final destination.
If it bothers you enough I'd deliberately give him food poisoning then say 'perhaps it's cause you don't wash your hands after having a pee' or words to that effect ;)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Graham Orm":2tyufvu6 said:
Why not do a role play with your daughter. Let her in on it and get her to go from bathroom to kitchen, then say 'I hope you washed your hands!' while he is in ear shot.

That's a subtle approach. I'll give that a try later.

It always bugs me that all public toilets have open in, inner doors. The only way out is to use the handle, which totally negates the hand washing. If its a busy place, I often wait until somebody comes in.

back on topic....does he also leave the toilet seat up? (mind you Ive known some just leave it down and pee through it).

RobinBHM":rr89c8y7 said:
You could just ask him to read this thread!

Problem solved. Quite brilliant actually.

Or. As Jimmy Carr would say ... "I wash Mr. Tinkle first thing in the morning .. then I'm good for eight hours"

Back