Ultimate Workstation - New build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a few pics of the base section coming together. I'll finish this on wednesday and then start cutting the laminate for the main carcass.

work1.jpg

work2.jpg

You can see from the photos that it's a new workshop coming together. i'm still building the storage units whilst building the workbench whilst building the workstation :shock:

Andy

Les, i don't think this is the stuff. The solid laminate we have here, that i hope to use is the same material used on the commercial router table overtops.

The sheet is 2600x1200mm (me thinks) and is around £500 worth.

But thanks for the link is i do need some of that too :lol:

Andy

pic7.jpg

25mm walnut set into the 30mm MDF overtop. Once laminated then i will cut of the channel for the sliding box section. The overtop is going to be fitted to the end panels with allen key bolts for ease with removal if needed.

pic8.jpg

Carcass coming together. Will be letting in the top rails and adding to shelf supports tonight. Once this is all together, i can then add the back panel and finally laminate to outer faces of the end panels.

The base section is going to be veneered with walnut just to match the rest of the unit, and an aluminium angle set into each corner for protection.

Still no news of the solid laminate so i'm going to use 18mm MDF with a high gloss laminate coating and if the solid does come available then swap them over.

Andy

Hi Lynx

I've no idea how much this stuff costs but in the lab we use

http://www.trespa.com/

TRESPA LTD
GROSVENOR HOUSE
HOLLINSWOOD ROAD
CENTRAL PARK
TELFORD
SHROPSHIRE
TF2 9TW

look for 'top-lab plus', it's a solid phemolic resin slab, about 1/2 inch think and i've yet to damage any of it :D

Just a quick update to show whats going on. I've more or less built the main carcass. Just need to laminate the outer face of one end panel and add the lipping to both end panels. I know i've gone a bit OTT on the carcass but it's been a while since i've done anything like this :cry:

I need to cut out the opening for the router well, this is going to have a home built height adjuster plus a hinged top panel to allow easy access to the router underneath.

Want to start working on fitting the table saw next to get it into the carcass and out of my way. Weather not the best at the moment so can't wheel it outside.

I have been told that the solid laminate is mine :D :D :D :D so i need to either get it cut at work and into my car sharpish or try and get the whole sheet home and size it with the tools i have. I know it hard as nails to cut but i can clean the edges with the router.

Until next update.

work3.jpg

work4.jpg

That is looking well good. 8)

But LyNx

The base - Did you put castors underneed them, so you can easily move it arround (even if it is just for a cleaning purpose) becauase by the look of it, that station is gona way a tone :?

McLuma

heheh, yeah it's very heavy at the moment and i have added castors. Haven't totally finished the base yet as need to add walnut veneer to the front faces and add levelling supports to the corners.

Going to add a pull handle both ends to move about as all the weight is at the bottom, and don't want to be pushing on the main unit itself.

at the moment it's only cost me £8 for a sheet of backing laminate,£16 for some contact adhesive and the cost of 4 castors. I was lucky enough to get most of the mdf from offcuts at work :lol:

Andy

Started mocking up the table router section, after moving a few holes and a few adjustments it's working fine. The rise and fall is operated from the worksurface and uses a 6mm allen key. I haven't checked the height per turn yet but it's pretty fine, i think it's around one full turn to .25mm vertical adjustment. I added the hinged top section to allow easy access to the router and also fitted locking stays that work a treat. Once i have checked everything is correct then i'll make the final router section

work5.jpg

work6.jpg

work7.jpg

you're showing some first class skills there lynx.... the speed which your building this is amzing!

keep it up, i wait with anticipation! 8)

Back