UKW - Sharpening Bonanza Get Together

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well…. Thanks Dodge for all your hard work in organizing the Sharpening Bonanza and thanks to Chris Smith’s hospitality at Wantage. (ideal location for me as its about 25 miles from my home as the crow would fly).
I picked up so much in the time I was there particularly from Matthew and Peter, I’ve read much of the Scary sharp system but never seen it ‘In the flesh’. It was a fantastic opportunity to talk about other members approach on sharpening and woodworking techniques.
Sorry for rushing off at 1:30 and not bidding a proper farewell to you all (I was due home at 2pm to help with our village market). Hopefully meet some of you again at the next event!

Mike

Thanks again to Dodge, Chris and all the demonstrators today for your time and hospitality. Really enjoyed meeting you all and learning some new methods! Hope there'll be more of these opportunities to meet up in the future.

Cheers!

Yes a great day - thanks to Dodge, Chris, the Demonstrators and whoever brought those lovely biscuits?

Rod

Many Thanks to all those who organised and demonstrated, and to the participants for some fascinating conversations.

My test of an event like this is "Will I be doing anything different when I get back to the workshop?"
Well the answer is yes.
I will still be using abrasive papers on glass but using better papers with the correct abrasive
and what is more I will understand why.
I will also be choosing the steel type of any new tools much more carefully.

Thanks again for a Grand Day Out.

Thanks to everyone involved for a wonderful day. Lots of stuff to talk about, not just sharpening.
We've only just got back having been stuck in traffic for yonks.

Cracking venue, cracking biscuits.

Again! Again!

Just arrived home. I would like to extend my sincere thanks to Dodge for organising the event, Chris for allowing the event to be held in his workshop and to all the demonstrators who gave their time. For me it was a boon, revisited the Tomek skills from Peter (Many thanks Peter and it was great to see you again), Matthew for for brining my goddies down and for demonstarting his wares, Andy King for demonstarting his free hand lapping, and Adalait (apologies if spelt wrong) for demonstrating the waterstones. Richard T for brining down his Planes (man, I am simply impressed by the workmanship and patience). These are the ones I watched, but there were several others, whom I did not get to chat to, but thank you for the time. It was also very nice to put faces to names and chat. So in my view it was a cracking day and am looking forward to the next one.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

just to say thank you to organisers of the sharpening day I found it very interesting and picked up some useful tips :D

Yes, a great day and thanks to Dodge, Chris and the demonstrators for putting in all the effort that made it a great event, much appreciated =D>

Good also to meet up again with friends and to chat to others that I hadn't met before :D

Cheers, Paul

I'll chime in also with my appreciation of the event and the organisers. I picked up some really good tips, but mainly it helped to assure me I wasn't doing too much wrong in the first place (except the exceptional camber on my BU blade :oops: ) Some good gen on what's coming up for WH and I really appreciated Roger's supply of wood blanks with proceeds going to charity. A great opportunity for me to get some interesting woods to experiment on. Thanks again.

+1 to all of the above! It was a really good chance to meet some familiar friends and some new ones too. Living proof of how this forum can be so informative and supportive.
Thanks again to Dodge and Chris for organising it and being so hospitable and to everyone who came along to make it a success.

I can do no better than echo earlier comments.
May I also add my thanks to Roger for organising the day, to Chris for hosting and to all the demonstrators and all of the attendees for making it all so successful.
I look forward to the next gathering!
Liam

Thanks guys for your comments of appreciation - Very much appreciated.

I myself must extend my personal thanks to Chris (Chrispy) not only for the use of his venue today but for putting me up last night and being the perfect hoste with his wife Wendy.

The event would not have happened without our team of demonstrators and again my thanks go to, Peter Sefton, Andy King, Matthew Platt, Richard Arnold, Chris Fisher-Dodd & Steve Alford - =D> =D> =D> =D>

All in all a great day and glad you all appreciated and enjoyed it - I took a shed load of photos and will download them tomorrow and get some posted on here accordingly

Rog

Sorry I had to dip out early but I've got a tight deadline to meet on the job I'm currently working on as I'm going in to hospital on Thursday for an op. My thanks to Roger and Chris and also to the often maligned Rutlands for sending me some spare abrasives for the demo.

Steve.

A huge thank you to Dodge for organising such a great event. It was really good to meet some more forum members and put faces to names.

Another huge thank you to chris for hosting the event and demonstrating his oil stones. I'm determined to give mine another go now, and I have never managed to get a really sharp cabinet scraper. Thank you for taking the time to show me how you do this and letting me have a go.

Thanks also to Matthew, Peter, Andy and the other Chris for their very informative demonstrations. It really put in context for me what sharp means to each person and when sharp is sharp enough for the task in hand.

I really hope we can do similar events in the future.

Richard T I hadn't realised you were there, must have missed your name badge or I would have thanked your or my fantastic hold fasts!

Thank you all again.

I would just like to add my thanks to Roger for organizing the day and a big thank you to Chris for giving up his Saturday to let us all loose in his great workshop, with some classic machines and presses I only wish I had chance to look and chat about the set up in more detail.
It was good to see some old friends and put faces to names (never my strong point) I am sure this will be reinforced by the photos of the day.
I hope that the overriding outcome of the day was that all the sharpening methods and abrasives work - they are just different! Looking forward to the next event and subject
PS I must also thank who ever bought me the bacon roll (Roger I think)as I forgot to put my hand in my pocket
Cheers Peter

Just wanted to say thank you for a very peaceful and friendly day. I just wish I could have had more time to speak to everyone.
A big thank you to Roger for organizing the event, and Chris for being such an excellent host. By the way is the workshop always that tidy, or did you have to spend days clearing up. I know I would have to if it was my workshop!!!.

Richard

What a grand day out! I can't really do more than echo what's already been said: huge thanks to Roger for organising and to Chris for hosting. Thanks also to those who provided the demonstrations and who were open, friendly and patient to a man, and it was good to meet and put faces to other forum members. A thoroughly good-natured exercise which was considerably more interesting than it may have sounded.

Cheers!

Pete

Latest posts

Back