UKW - Sharpening Bonanza Get Together

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you to everyone who came, it was really good to see and talk to so many interesting people, I hope we can do this again some time.
Thank you Roger for the idea and organization. and for any one who has not met him yet he's a really nice guy.

PS, no my workshop is never that tidy!

Hi

Just wanted to say thanks to Roger for organising the event, Chris for letting us decend on his workshop and all the demonstrators.

No more excuses for blunt tools!

Thanks again

Mark

Thank you to all for making this event happen.

Great to meet and chat, very informative.

More than welcome to use my workshop in the west midlands if a venue is needed in the future. Might not be quite as clean and organized though!

Thanks

Will

www.williamself.co.uk

Just wanted to say my own Big Thanks to Dodge for organising and Chrispy for hosting... =D> =D>
Really appreciated the time the demonstrators gave to make the event the success it was.
Also thanks Adidat (Chris) for taking the time on the waterstones to give me an example sharp chisel to work toward with my own stones, and thanks to Richard T & Emma for the files advice,
Did someone say Saw Sharpening next time round.... :D

The day was a good incentive to now go tackle the backlog of plow plane blades lucking at the back of the workshop..

Cheers All,

Chrispy":4qr900q8 said:
Thank you Roger for the idea and organization. and for any one who has not met him yet he's a really nice guy.

i would probably let him marry my mother!

:lol: :lol:

adidat

SteveB43":1i2l3c3i said:
Just wanted to say my own Big Thanks to Dodge for organising and Chrispy for hosting... =D> =D>
Really appreciated the time the demonstrators gave to make the event the success it was.
Also thanks Adidat (Chris) for taking the time on the waterstones to give me an example sharp chisel to work toward with my own stones, and thanks to Richard T & Emma for the files advice,
Did someone say Saw Sharpening next time round.... :D

The day was a good incentive to now go tackle the backlog of plow plane blades lucking at the back of the workshop..

Cheers All,

no problem Steve, like i said on the day whilst we can all talk about what sharp really is but there is no way fully understand without seeing and feeling the end product!

now where did i put that flattening stone! :-k

thanks to Chris for letting us use that fantastic space of his! and all other demonstrators present. I had some great conversations and I was pleased to be able to personally thank Mr. Arnold for my fantastic not so secret, secret Santa gift! And RichardT was there with some of his planes, so glad to learn that I am not the only expert when it comes to starting something and not finishing it! :lol: :lol:

adidat

Thanks from here too. I learnt a very neat trick from Richard Arnold, and will be trying it out soon, using a hollow bevel on chisel and plane irons so that you don't need a honing guide on a waterstone.

Thanks to everyone, particularly Dodge and Chris. I hope Andy King got to see the Cup Final!

Nick

Just wanted to add my thanks for a great day. It was lovely to meet you all.

Sent from my ST26i using Tapatalk 2

Dave D":exwy2awk said:
My test of an event like this is "Will I be doing anything different when I get back to the workshop?"
Well the answer is yes.
I will still be using abrasive papers on glass but using better papers with the correct abrasive
and what is more I will understand why.

Any chance you could expand on this for those of us who couldn't Make it? I'd love to benefit from the knowledge!

Have a look at Matthew's videos on SS on the Workshop Heaven site.

In the absence of the rounded bevel guru, Matthew demonstrated the technique - which although it gives a reasonable edge, the dipping action removes metal from the back which is a complete waste of effort and material.
The SS method using the 3M sheets was very quick, gave incredible results and for the majority of sharpenings, removed only metal from the tip.

Rod

Harbo":xhj3m146 said:
Have a look at Matthew's videos on SS on the Workshop Heaven site.

In the absence of the rounded bevel guru, Matthew demonstrated the technique - which although it gives a reasonable edge, the dipping action removes metal from the back which is a complete waste of effort and material.
The SS method using the 3M sheets was very quick, gave incredible results and for the majority of sharpenings, removed only metal from the tip.

Rod
You mean he's got it? By jove - which video? (I can't be bothered to watch them all).
Of course you have to remove metal from the back. If you only remove metal from the tip eventually the bevel gets steeper and steeper and you end up with the dreaded rounded over bevel :shock: :shock: :shock:

I didn't notice any oil stones on his site. Not much fun selling them of course as you can only sell one (or two) per person as they last for life. A man who buys an oil stone won't be back for very long time. :roll:

Looks like a great day all. FWIW I have been using an oil stone of late and I think it's ok. I did give the P Sellers 3 Diamond Plate thing a go but it didn't really sit quite right with me.
I went for the oil stone after refering to old "joinery" books which obviously mentioned oil stones and this sits nicely with my recreational wood working (old school and simple). It would of been sweet to contrast the oil stone with the methods you guys did.

Back