UJK Parf guide system

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Offset the cost of bushes against the time taken using a drill vs a router. Plus the initial costs of both "systems".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter's system is clever but is a bit of a long winded way of doing it in comparison to a cnc template.

As it stands the benefit i can see in his system is size for those who need something to carry at all times or have very limited space. there is also the question of how accurate the CNC template remains over time i guess.

I will likely pick up a CNC template when i do my workshop build later this year and then save it for when my MFT3 needs a new top. I already have a router, guide bushes and 20mm cutter (only 1/4£ shank so may buy a 1/2" shank for the occasion) so the cost is really on £35 for the template.

What i would say in favor of the CNC template is most power tool wood workers will have at least one router and if you buy this set of guide bushes (http://www.axminster.co.uk/ujk-technolo ... set-502571) then you get the 30mm you need plus a good selection of others to really expand what you can do with your router. You will likely need an adapter as these are screw on bushes but you can have one for most common routers (http://www.axminster.co.uk/leigh-adapto ... sel=800439). Prices for the adapter varies depending on router but most you should need to spend is £60 but remember for this you are getting items that open up the would of template routing which i am discovering is a world of endless possibilities (well maybe not endless but certainly a lot)

I believe Peter is working on a new video to introduce some extra items that will be available for the system which could increase its usefulness to beyond a single use tool - maybe for shelf pin holes?? Either way i wish Peter the best with this venture as he comes accross as a genuinely decent guy on both his videos and FOG posts

Wuffles":2t23qjzk said:
Go on, anyone recognise this quote? "Have we got a video Rick?"

The video was posted ages ago Lonsdale73.

The Young Ones, featuring the Damned performing "Nasty" and Alexei Sayle posing as a driving instructor from Johannesburg

Lonsdale73":83wr37n9 said:
Wuffles":83wr37n9 said:
Go on, anyone recognise this quote? "Have we got a video Rick?"

The video was posted ages ago Lonsdale73.

The Young Ones, featuring the Damned performing "Nasty" and Alexei Sayle posing as a driving instructor from Johannesburg

Who is NOT a vampire.

I'm very much resisting the guide bushes for my Triton. The main reason being is that my Triton really is for the table and I am intending to go for a Festool router for handheld use. So I'll get a guide bush for that. I do like the router option for its speed and accuracy (vertical holes will be quick and easy). I do however like Peters system as it packs away nice and small and I can see me using it more easily on odd one off jobs.

DiscoStu":k6k638bp said:
I'm very much resisting the guide bushes for my Triton. The main reason being is that my Triton really is for the table and I am intending to go for a Festool router for handheld use. So I'll get a guide bush for that. I do like the router option for its speed and accuracy (vertical holes will be quick and easy). I do however like Peters system as it packs away nice and small and I can see me using it more easily on odd one off jobs.

i use those exact guide bushes on my Festool OF 1010 and OF1400 - just needed the right Leigh adapter plates. All in for the 2 plates and the adapters i paid about £70 - £75.

Not trying to put you off buying Peter's system as i do think it looks nice and as mentioned the extras he has planned may increase its versatility.

Petey83":ebl4kn2i said:
DiscoStu":ebl4kn2i said:

i use those exact guide bushes on my Festool OF 1010 and OF1400 - just needed the right Leigh adapter plates. All in for the 2 plates and the adapters i paid about £70 - £75.

Not trying to put you off buying Peter's system as i do think it looks nice and as mentioned the extras he has planned may increase its versatility.

Just checked a list somewhere online and it said the 704R (which is the same as the 1010) fits the Triton. That can't be right? I've not used a bush in the TRA001 so I don't know if that's about right, but it seems very lucky if it is.

I can buy a set of bushes and the trend adapter for my dewalt 625 for less than 30 quid.... got to be done I suppose....

Thought I would post this up just in case anyone hasn't seen it. Peter has done a test cut to satisfy the naysayers. If I'm honest I was skeptical as well, MFT cutting requires very fine accuracy and I wasn't convinced this system could achieve that due to the constant moving of parts and setup.

Anyhow, here is Peters test cut to quell any doubts;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbsRAIS5CoU

I'm going to post it up as we all know the guy is too modest to plug his own product in this way.

Peter, I shall eat my humble pie and will certainly be looking at your product when I need to cut more dog holes in-situ.

Hello,

Does anyone know why the holes are spaced 96mm on centre? Is it just an arbitrary number, or is there a practical reason? I could make a small router template, for doing the hole spacing on a small CNC. I might make a MFT table for my tracksaw, next week. If it is successful I could pass on the template if anyone is interested.

Mike.

PS Thinking about the Parf method of doing the holes, with sticks and bushes, I think there is potential for this to be even more accurate than a CNC produced template. Although the template will be very accurate in itself, the router guide bush would have to be super accurately concentric with the router bit, or errors could creep in. It could be mitigated by making sure the router is orientated the same way for each hole, but forget and turn the router a bit, and there will be errors.

96mm centres are multiples of 32mm and for some reason 32mm is used a lot for systems. I'm sure someone knows why. The Festool hole rails are 32mm and shelf pins are 32mm. The Festool MFT is 96mm centres.

Hello,

Thanks, standard carcasses have 32 mm spacing for shelf pins etc, so there is logic here. Actually, my tracksaw is a Bosch and the rails can be bought with 32mm hole spaces. Might be possible to make a table using those.

Mike.

woodbrains":202xteky said:
Hello,

Thanks, standard carcasses have 32 mm spacing for shelf pins etc, so there is logic here. Actually, my tracksaw is a Bosch and the rails can be bought with 32mm hole spaces. Might be possible to make a table using those.

Mike.
Yeah some people do use the 32 holed rails to make the tops with a 20mm cutter and router.

The more you look into the 32 system the more you'll see uses it. Holes for Blum hinge plates for example and a lot of handles will have bolt holes in multiples of 32mm

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I think it's a clever system and would come into its own if you wanted to make lots of tables with these holes.

But for a one off it's quite expensive and looks quite a faff to me when you can get a ready made MFT top for less than half the price (and that uncludes the quality bit of MDF :)):

http://www.powertool-supplies.co.uk/fes ... GwodXFgK9w

I bought one of these (tops) but ended up getting an MFT - I use the MFT all the time - the hole system is handy but it's for cross cutting and routing that I use it for all the time.

Cheers

Gidon

gidon":2ddkd3nl said:
I think it's a clever system and would come into its own if you wanted to make lots of tables with these holes.

But for a one off it's quite expensive and looks quite a faff to me when you can get a ready made MFT top for less than half the price (and that uncludes the quality bit of MDF :)):

I bought one of these (tops) but ended up getting an MFT - I use the MFT all the time - the hole system is handy but it's for cross cutting and routing that I use it for all the time.

Cheers

Gidon

this is not the top for an MFT3 though it it.... :?

I think I read somewhere that the 32mm cabinet system was brought about by the Gurmans after WWII when a lot of rebuilding was needed.
So a standardised 32mm system was introduced to improve efficiency.

Petey83":7jvgnhd7 said:
gidon":7jvgnhd7 said:

Cheers

Gidon

this is not the top for an MFT3 though it it.... :?

The one linked to is smaller than an MFT/3 top - but still a useful size - and has the perfectly machined grid of holes.

I see Peter has added another video on the Parf Guide, this time re-making the top of his mobile workbench. He has almost convinced me I need one of these, but I see they are out of stock still / again. Did others get one or did they never come back in stock? If people have managed to get hold of them what has experience of them been so far?

Terry.

woodbrains":278ouxht said:
Thinking about the Parf method of doing the holes, with sticks and bushes, I think there is potential for this to be even more accurate than a CNC produced template. Although the template will be very accurate in itself, the router guide bush would have to be super accurately concentric with the router bit, or errors could creep in. It could be mitigated by making sure the router is orientated the same way for each hole, but forget and turn the router a bit, and there will be errors.

That's the thing that's put me off using a template.

Steve Maskery had an Elu a while back, and I have a commonly-available copy. We've compared notes. One obvious difference is the build quality - the Elu was really well built, and crucially, the round base was concentric with the cutter for all practical purposes. Mine is off - noticeably. Not by much but it's enough to make me distrust the bush mountings for demanding applications.

You need a method that doesn't introduce cumulative errors (or large quasi-random ones). The Parf Guide system does look very good - Peter has paid a lot of attention to this issue.

Despite this (because of the risk of me messing it up in construction), I will probably buy a CNC-cut complete top, at least to start off with, as the errors should be about as small as you can get. If you're gonna do this, it makes sense to get as accurate as possible form the outset.

I will, however, definitely be getting a set of Parf Dogs to use with it :)

E.

Back