type of finish for a crib

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry not beeswax

i read some babies allergic

i think danish is baby safe

i am about to start a crib build and will use danish

Steve

How about hard wax oil, suitable for application onto children’s toys – EN 71-Toy Safety Certification. I've used it on some things for my grandson and apart from the toy safety approval it is a good tough finish.
Simon

Saint Simon":3atlrufd said:
How about hard wax oil, suitable for application onto children’s toys – EN 71-Toy Safety Certification. I've used it on some things for my grandson and apart from the toy safety approval it is a good tough finish.
Simon

+1
I used toy safe HWO from chestnut and the crib has had two kids through it without problems.

i am sorry to be insistent

please check it is baby safe

i have spent ages googling this

i nearly gave up and still in the planning stages

i know we had stuff painted etc ..that was far from child friendly

and we survived it
also look up gap between railings etc

Steve

I made a crib about 5 years ago and faced the same problem. The general consensus is that most finishes - apart from those containing obvious toxins e.g lead - cease to be toxic once cured. There are also some question marks over tung oil.
I finally plumped for shellac as a finish when I learned that it is used as a release agent in medications and also sweet manufacturers use it as a coating. It also allows easy re-touching if necessary.
The child in question is now 4 years old and displaying no signs of ill health after using the top rails as a teething ring :)

Back