Two steps forward, three steps back today!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dicktimber

Established Member
Reaction score
I spent yesterday marking out cutting and planing some legs from Ash.....well that was the plan....
I purchased two blocks 1mL x 500mm W x 100mmT....
It was rough sawn from the mill, and looked like it had been hanging about for a decade, but I was only charged for useable material.
So I thought I had a bargain...silly me.
Both pieces showed signs of spalting (not a lot) which I was going to cut out, but I had not realised that the part that looked useable, was equally spalted in the centre of the wood.......
Plus someone a zillion centuries ago, well in Roman times I suspect, decided to hammer a cast iron nail into the tree when it was small, and not a small nail, one of those 5mm thick 10mm wide long things they used before nail guns were invented.
I am so so glad I did not decide to use the table saw to rough cut out and as a result only one bandsaw blade was ruined.
I drilled the nail out but the whole of the area where the nail had been was black from the iron, and resulted in an area of some 300mm being affected.....
Well at least I got a couple of good pieces......no such luck.
When I cut them to size there were splits inside!!!!!!
So all in all I have ended up with nearly ziltch timber to use.
I will be back at the mill tomorrow, and the guy will replace...but it just goes to show that what looks good on the outside can have hidden dangers and problems.
Maybe I should have purchased PAR but there would have been a price increase.
I have converted tons of timber and have to say I will stay clear of anything exhibiting spalting in the future.
This has taught me a lesson!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Now that is a thought....??
I usually just wave the wife over the timber.
She's pretty good at detecting the loosemetal in my trouser pockets when I take them off!!!!!

Good job she doesn't go on this site
I would be dead meat!!!!!

Mike

There are woodworkers who haunt timber yards just looking for spalted wood! Couldn't you turn it into a feature? :)

Back