Two simple bandsaw boxes. WIP.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScouseKev

Established Member
Reaction score
Its anniversary time again, and after scouring the internet for ideas i decided on a pair of bandsaw boxes.

I started the first one in black walnut, then managed to get hold of a length of sawn Bubinga for the second.

The centre is 3x18mm baltic birch ply and the walnut is 19mm. The photos are a mixture of the two boxes.
001.JPG

I'd never done any bandsaw work before, so I bought the full set of workshop essentials from Steve Maskery.
The bandsaw setup guide is excellent and after following Steves instructions it was well tuned.

I used a 3/16" blade and after some practice on softwood i took a deep breath and started.
003.JPG

004.JPG

That's it for now.....so far so good. Will crack on tomorrow.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 1,717
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 1,717
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 1,717
Looking good, have fun with the sanding!

Is that " The drunken wood workers" design?

Yeah the Drunken woodworker.

Im practicing the oil/poly finish he's done. It turns out well until i put a coat of clear wax on it, then i can see tiny flecks of white in the grain.

May do a post on the finishing section ans ask why? Thanks

I like the design, simple yet effective. I look forward to seeing the finished box

I have also used birch ply sandwiched between walnut and it is very effective. The first box below is my own design and the second one is Steve Ramsey's which started me off with bandsaw boxes.
box00002.jpg
box00003.jpg

I got a 1/8th inch blade from Ian at Tuff Saws, it is a 14tpi SuperTuff Carbon BS blade which is great for going round tight curves.

regards

Brian

Attachments

• box00002.jpg
    box00002.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,501
  • box00003.jpg
    box00003.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,501
Next was to test my disc sander and see if it's 90-degrees.

011.JPG

All seemed to be ok and i sanded as much as i could before starting on the tight radius bits.

006.JPG

I cut 15mm off each side to allow the hollowing of the drawer.

008.JPG

009.JPG

Next glue back on the two sides to form the drawer.

010.JPG

I sanded the radius parts as best as i could using the bobbin sander but my smallest bobbin was 16mm so it meant quite a lot of hand sanding.

I wrapped the sandpaper round the shank of a screwdriver for the really tight one and used a piece of plumbing pipe for the other.

012.JPG

Once it was sanded i rounded over the edges with 3mm round over bit.

013.JPG

014.JPG

015.JPG

Just the small drawer knobs to make and then it should be ready for the finish.
That's it for now though.

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 1,489
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 1,489
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 1,489
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 1,489
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 1,489
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 1,489
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 1,489
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 1,489
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 1,489
Kev they look great and will look even better with a finish on, I really do like the plywood & walnut sandwich. As well as looking good it saves on the hardwood.

I finished mine by a complete dunking in Danish oil and then wiping dry. They were then buffed up with hard wax using a buffing wheel on the lathe.

A tip for the inside - I use Suede Tex from Turners Retreat. It leaves a great finish and also means you don't need to do so much sanding. It is available in various colours but I have only used red & black so far.

When sanding the inside curves I too found the smallest spindle on my sander was too big so stuck some sandpaper to various diameter dowels which were put in the lathe chuck and used that - works well.

Nice work Kev, looking good.

Brian, do. You swap blades to cut the backs off or use the 1/8" blade for all the cuts?

Woodpig, it depends, if I am doing a batch I will use a wider blade but for one offs I would use whatever blade is in there to make the first straight cut and then swap to the 1/8th blade.

regards

Brian

Great work Kevin, you have a good eye for detail there. I havent tried the birch ply yet, but bought a load of sheets to try just that, as I've seen the results before. Keep up the good work.

Latest posts

Back