Two More Bowls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sooty

Established Member
Reaction score
Had a go at turning two more bowls this weekend the first one is 6 1/2" wide x 5 1/2" deep in Spaltered Sycamore.

The second one is 7" wide x 3" deep in Laburnum.

Hope you like them?

Phil

Yep,both very nice pieces - very clean,smooth lines and excellently finished,and both lovely looking timbers :D

Andrew

Phil ,

The Sycamore. bowl is perhaps a bit too tall for the diameter and opening size ? probably just my way of seeing things ?

The Laburnum. bowl is spot on , both items are finished well

Well done

:wink:

Both finished well, the Laburnum one has captured the striking colour difference in the wood well, so often lost in turning, any piece that maximises what the wood has to offer is a 'good un' as Graham would say in my eyes.

Did well to get the fine finish and avoid heat checking on the Laburnum.

Great bowls; specially like the laburnum, for all the reasons others have said. Grain/spalting on the sycamore is spectacular, too; never seen anything quite like that sort of "tesselated" pattern. To be really nit-picking, I think I'd prefer a slightly "sharper" edge to the sycamore, but that's pure aesthetics.

Both very nice,

The Labernum wood looks great candidate for Bangles

Thanks for the comments
The sycamore is a blank I had bought about 2 years ago I did not know it was spaltered until I started turning it. I also think it is a little too tall and also that the sides could have been thinner but chickened out of going thinner as it is the first sycamore I have turned and did not want to ruin it finished with sanding sealer and wax.

The laburnum is from a tree that was in my garden it was felled about 3 years ago I turned a lot of it while it was still green, this piece was really difficult to hollow out must get a lot harder as it dries out as I had to sharpen the bowl gouge 3 or 4 times during hollowing did not use sanding sealer on this just waxed onto bare wood.

Phil

Now I would choose the Sycamore, but both are very well finished and great looking curves.

Dave Huxley":3q16h7hj said:
I think these are both great, what did you use to hollow the sycamore one with as it seems quite deep.
Dave

Thanks, I used an Ashley Isles Fixed Angle Ring Tool quite handy for up to 6"

Latest posts

Back