Two amateur bowls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Santos

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Not sure if everyone here will remember me, but I’ve been kicking about on here since August. As of recent I haven’t been seen active on here, for that I can only apologize, been too busy in my life to really get out into the shed. Although, I have been visiting the forums and still reading, and as always been very impressed with people’s work I see on here.

Anyway, I managed to steal myself away into the shed to make a spalted Beech and an English walnut bowl. The spalted Beech bowl being around 11cm in diameter and the Walnut bowl around 12.5cm in diameter. Both finished using exactly the same method, sanded up to 400 girt, then buffed with wire wool, which as far as I know takes it up to about 650 grit. Two coats of Liberon sanding sealer and multiple coats of clear Record wax burnished in.

Spalted Beech bowl:

P5310179.jpg

P5310181.jpg

Walnut bowl;

P5310176.jpg

P5310178.jpg

P5310177.jpg

P5310182.jpg

Critiques and comments are very welcome, negative or positive- Still very much a beginner.

Thanks for looking.

Dan.

Dan, nothing negative really to say about those 8)

I love the worm eaten Walnut :lol:

Nice to see you trying variation with the flat rim on the beech and the rounded on the walnut, it gives a different feel to each.

Keep up the good work

JT

Love the Beech Dan lovely spalting and nicely finished :D
The Walnut one would look good i feel if the holes were filled with brass or summat :?:

Santos, the beech bowl is beautifully spalted, I'm going for this bowl.
I wonder if you not could rid of the wormy holes in the walnut, by turning the wall of the bowl thinner, at least my thought.
Ad

Nice couple of bowls with different styles. I have filled worm holes with brass powder before now, can be quite effective

Pete

Thanks gents, really appreciate the comments. Although, I must say I wasn’t overly impressed with the finish achieved on the interior of the Walnut bowl, end grain area kept tearing on me. Despite me sanding from 80 to about 650 on the inside a good 2 times, some sanding lines are still present under certain light conditions. :(

Thanks, Johnny, main reason for the flat rim on the Beech bowl was just to show the transition of some of the spalting effect from exterior to interior.

Thanks for the advice Pete and Paul with the Brass powder, although I think I’m too much of a beginner to know how to effectively use that sort of filler. Maybe one day :)

Not sure I have the skill (balls) to turn bowls too thin, but on closer inspection of the bowl I think you might be right Ad, some of the holes don’t seem to penetrate the bowl all that deep. Thank for the advice too.

Dan

Nice bowls, I too would have been tempted to fill the worm holes with something, although it would most likely need to be done after rough turning because it might not be easy to get the filling deep into the holes.

Cheers,

Dod

Latest posts

Back