Tweed- a table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgian Dubh

Established Member
Reaction score
A wee fun job I did recently is this side table. No WIP photos I'm afraid, but there's a few snaps of the end result here, and a bit of blether about using ferrous sulphate to make harewood, or to colour up oak is here. Slainte.

Tweed-1-350px.jpg

Really nice design. I like fluting and that looks brilliant, not sure about the finish i expect it looks better in the flesh than in the photo. I read your article on staining with the sulphate. I loved the metallic look, can you keep that intense look at the start of the process or does it fade out?
owen

Corset":w1syse3k said:
I read your article on staining with the sulphate. I loved the metallic look, can you keep that intense look at the start of the process or does it fade out? owen
The grey look tends to change somewhat over several years and it becomes more green, or at least that's my general experience. However, that could be caused by a few factors, and it might be the polish used that has some effect. For example, oil finishes or finishes with oil in them such as varnish or boiled linseed oil tend to darken the wood on application, and then continue darkening the wood over the years and decades. It may also be the case that UV light and the oxidation of wood that occurs over time changes the grey. I'm drawing on the example of antiques covered in marquetry, which when made would have been vibrant with colour, but nowadays are generally very muted. Slainte.

Back