Turning tool rack

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kasandrich

Established Member
Reaction score
I am just embarking on making a tool rack for my turning tools.

I have bought some 12mm dowel and some 2x1 and I intend to fit the dowels at a slight incline to prevent the tools rolling off, but my question is how far apart should my dowels be vertically? and I guess horizontally?

Hi

If you're like most woodturners, that rack will be 'out of date' in a max' of a few months at best....new tools etc.

Personally, I like to have my tools in a rack immediately behind the lathe, handles down - each in a recess cut with a forstner bit, then they lean in at a shallow angle and the business end is supported in a small cut out in another batten. In between the tools are rare earth magnets glued into the batten, onto which fit chuck keys, rule, calipers etc.

Having then upside down means you can immediately see which one you want.

Chris.

Scrums":327qehye said:
If you're like most woodturners, that rack will be 'out of date' in a max' of a few months at best....new tools etc.

What he said. Mines just a shelf on those spur brackets with a hole drilled and an opening cut with a jigsaw. It's full :(

Keep mine in a rack behind the lathe too, but blades down. I'm a bit worried about catching fingers on adjacent sharp points when selecting a tool if they were upwards. Or would be if I were better at sharpening :(

Also sometimes think reaching over the workpiece isn't that good an idea, but the lathe layout means it's the only one that's practical for me.

This is mine

DSC_0282.JPG

Tho that was soon after it went up. Different lathe now and the whole rack is filled.

I guess some will say this arrangement is a little dangerous. But I don't think so. I never reach over while the lathe is spinning and because the lathe is there, I can't injure myself by catching them. Makes it very easy to see what tool you need. However, I need to re-think it, because it's full with no chance to expand.

I have my rack more to the right of the headstock to avoid reaching over the work,but i always turn the lathe off when i change tool,and i don't do much if any spindle work.
My rack has been altered twice now to take more tools,and it's full again :roll: .
I also only have the tools i use the most in the rack some of the smaller tools are in a drawer on my sharpening station.

yes Allen's rack is very nice, I'd like to do the same one day. But he's right, he really does have at least 5 times as many chisels as you see there :lol:

Allen, was that pic taken recently, I think some of those chisels are in the Wizer Workshop now... :oops: :)

What is that one 7th from the right on the bottom row Allen? I can recognise all the others but that one is not something I remember seeing before.

Pete

All of these setups look suspiciously clean! Could it be that they were tidied before the photo was took?

I keep my gouges in one of those mechanics tool chests on wheels. They lay in a couple of draws with a piece of very lightly oily rag across the end of the cutting edges. It just makes sure that if there is any condensation about they don't find it. In use, they lay on a bench behind me. That way I can find them with complete ease. I have a window the length full length of the front of the lathe, direct South facing, so no chance of anything there..

DSC08426.jpg

DSC08428.jpg

DSC08427.jpg

Not quite as tidy as most?

You could have one rack near the lathe to house all your tools or alternatively have one near the lathe that is compact to house the commonly used tools aand another storage site that is moisture proof etc for the less commonly used ones.

Mine looks like this :D

[/img]

Jonzjob":38zojepf said:
All of these setups look suspiciously clean! Could it be that they were tidied before the photo was took?

Coo, some people aint half suspicious, :? :? :?

John. B

.....not this one......

Lathe.jpg

....now, with the Christmas rush over - the big tidy up begins, though the customers are still ordering !

Chris. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you. :ho2

My workshop does get untidy but I generally clear up shavings before I finish. There is a thick layer of dust on everything so I'm crying out for a air filter. The rack itself doesn't get messy as the chips bounce under it, back onto the floor/me.

Yes they all do look a bit squeeky clean, more like operating theatres.
I don't bother with a tool rack as I do everything I need with only 2 tools most of the time - a half inch spindle and a three quarter skew and keep them on the shelf under the lathe bed. I do however haver about 40 hooks, nails bits of rod stuck in the walls for all the calipers, templates, marking gauges, set squares, dividers, bits of wire, blades, chuck spanners and rolls of tape. I definatlely have the untidiest workshopon the forum. Did any of you see pictures of the great Bill Jones's workshop -makes our place look tidy. I'm off now- have a good Chiristmas

i'm currently rackless as i ripped the old one out when i swapped lathes - i now have a axi 1200 (like johns) - the new plan is to make a rack that is hinged onto the lathe at the tailstock end and swings out to be on my right when the lathe is in use - when not in use it will fold in to be out of the way and protect both lathe and tools

Latest posts

Back