Turning Time in 2009

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Struan":2bavpebg said:
......If you don't mind my asking, how did you dry them and what finish did you use? ....

Struan, if I am turning green wood I treat it like This and rough turn it to speed drying.

Timber in general is always sealed on the ends with wax or old paint as soon as possible after cutting.

If cut into rough blanks then thes are either end sealed or periphery sealed immediately.
If not cutting into blanks, sections are stacked outside in the shade (ends sealed) and left in as long a length as possible to reduce end splitting waste.

If cut into rough blanks for drying then they are sealed and stacked under loose covers to try and equalise moisture gradient in the stack.

The most significant action with any log to be on the safe side is to split it through the pith to reduce random radial splitting whilst drying.

This is typical of what I am using at the moment.

click on images for larger view

thankyouuuuu.
So much to learn! I'm getting all my logs of a friend at the moment, so i'll have to seal them myself.

Struan

'Place witty comment here'

_________ ___
_______________Spalted Beech ____________________(230mm)

Tis that the bit that attacked you Chas? If it is I hope somebody is grateful for the save. Nice work mate.

TEP":22b7jkyn said:
Tis that the bit that attacked you Chas? ...

Yes that's the animal Tam, a little rustic in spots, but we came to an understanding in the end.

_________
_______________Elm 215mm high

Another quite beautiful piece,Chas :D

Lovely shape;needs nothing else,lets the beauty of the timber speak for itself.

Andrew

Gorgeous wood there Chas and nice to see you doing something a bit different. You seem to have been on a production line lately with the bowls. :lol:
Could be a vase....a large pot or maybe a very deep bowl?

Whatever it is I like it

Pete

Lovely Shape to tht one, Chas ...
and what a gorgeous piece of elm... thats a real little beauty.
Nothing in the shape to detract from the features in the wood itself,
and that really works wonderfully well.
Its screaming 'pick me up for real close look'.
8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

CHJ

I have just been looking through this thread.

Great work made of beautiful wood. You have a great wood pile and I choose my words carefully :lol: :lol:

I think our native woods are some of the best in the world and spalted beech is extra special, especially seeing it comes from such a bland wood initially.

Keep up the great work and can't wait to see more.

Take care

Mark

Thank you Mark, I'm afraid that my output is not very artistic and rather mundane in form, to a large extent this is due to my main outlet for 'surplus' items which helps with the provision of consumables for my hobby.

It does mean that I can go in the shed and just relax whilst whittling a bit of wood.

As for the 'wood pile', it's about to grow somewhat bigger in the next few days as comments yesterday about shortage of unspalted Beech and Yew to add some variety resulted in the response "Oh I've had three Beech come down this winter & I've had to remove a Yew that was crowding an Oak stand, if they are any use".

_________
_________Cedar of Lebanon (200mm high)

Paul.J":2smnygqg said:
...Is it usualy that colour :?

All the Cedar of Lebanon that I have or had is from a fallen branch some 450-550mm diameter, it has all been pale in colour, considerably different to the Red Cedar we see in shingles etc.

Again,love the shape,and another beautiful piece of timber.
What's this one going to be used as/for?

Andrew

PowerTool":31jh7ekz said:
What's this one going to be used as/for?..

Someone in the household mentioned something about a dried arrangement to compliment the slight cedar scent getting past the finish Andrew.

_________ ___
_______________Spalted Beech ____________________(178mm H)

Latest posts

Back