Turning Time in 2009

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul.J":1vx5lwxo said:
.....Looks to be a plain piece of Yew. :?
It's a piece out of a wide plank Paul, deliberately avoided the sapwood to get consistent colour. It will of course go considerably darker over time.

______
________One 'just 'cause I can' for a change....________Click on images for larger view.
________

Getting nice crisp edges in oak isn't that easy IME, oak splinters and chips so easily. Did you use your new beading tools on theis one Chas?

pete

Paul.J":2zdzlf7m said:
...Are the beads finish straight off the tool :?:

More or less Paul, a bit of a polish with 240 so as not to remove the detail. if you are careful you can finish the cut in something approaching a shear scraper mode.
Bodrighy":2zdzlf7m said:
..... Did you use your new beading tools on theis one Chas?
pete
Yes Pete, it's easier when you cheat.

______
________Another one to order....________Click on images for larger view.
________

Lovey finish...as always.
You must have commissions booked till next winter.. :)
What is it going to be used for...E.g fruit..& if so do you have
to be careful with the finish getting stained

hog&bodge":30cibo42 said:
......What is it going to be used for...E.g fruit..& if so do you have to be careful with the finish getting stained

Not certain h&b, suspect it will be used for dry display purposes but should be fine for normal fruit as it's finished with canauba wax, which is quite robust.
If a piece is known to be for soft fruit or fruit that is prone to deterioration in the dish then I use a melamine enhanced lacquer to resist moisture and can be subjected to a wet wipe on a regular basis without loosing the gloss.

______
________Pendants a Plenty....________Click on image for larger view.
________

____ A melange of Plum,Yew,Zebrano,Bubinga,Ovangol,Cherry

I was the only seller at a WI Christmas get-together last night, so I did quite well :D :D but, one again, not a single pendant :cry: I hope you do better with these Chas.

johnny.t.":1v0daf9z said:

What wire are you using to make the eyes?

I've been using silver/silver plated finings johnny, being a skinflint forming an extra eye with the surplus offcuts.

Lightweeder":1v0daf9z said:
...... but, one again, not a single pendant :cry: I hope you do better with these Chas.

No problems with those LW, delivered today (850 miles as a crow flys)

Hi CHJ Just got couple blocks bees wax off ebay like below
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pure-Bees-Wax-Bee ... 3ca30c1df6

They are hard small blocks: Question is how do I apply it to the wood.
Sounds silly but do you just turn the lathe on and rub the block on
the work then buff, of heat it till it is soft and apply.
tried it hard but it went streaky. It is also hard to get it down in to
small beading in the work..so do you use a soft wax application..?
Thanks in advance...

H&B, I never use raw bees wax, I only ever use Chestnuts Woodwax22 which is a soft wax blend of bees wax and canauba wax.

Anything likely to subjected to increased handling I use Canauba wax applied with a burnishing mop, the wax is applied to the spinning mop, it needs the heat of the friction to melt, then when applied to the wood the friction heat transfers it to the piece.

Back