Turning shavings used as garden mulch?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was clearing the workshop the other day and filled yet another bag of shavings. I had just weeded my fruit garden before going to the workshop and had just put down some bark mulch.

Bright idea, bark comes from trees and so do our turning shavings. Is there a problem with using our shavings as mulch?

Many thanks in advance.

Simon

You can use them as a mulch but don't dig them in as they will rob the soil of nitrogen. I use them as a mulch for paths as well and they rot down in about 12 months.

Pete

hello and welcome

in my experince they also reduce the nitrogen content when used as a mulch too- but this is easily cured by using a genral purpose feed every 6 months or so.
Its also might be of intrest that alot of allotment owners use shavings as a soil conditioner to lighten heavy clay soil over winter-they dig the shavings in very deeply mixing them with compost and manure.

Don't forget that some types have a natural chemical in them that kills or supresses other growth, such as walnut and yew, possibly some others too.....

Cheers, Paul :D

I compost mine with grass clippings. Mix the two together roughly, and they seem to help each other break down........the wood shavings prevent the grass turning into the the soggy compact mush that can happen otherwise.

Mike

I'd compost them first myself, and as mentioned avoid certain woods due to volatile oil content. Also avoid any treated timber, such as any which has had sealer on it.

They make a great 'brown' component for the heap, as most people add too much green anyway.
To help them break down i add Personally Initiated Soil Stimulant (as recommended by Bob Flowerdew :lol: ), just enough to keep the heap damp.

Oakbear":2omtbh33 said:
To help them break down i add Personally Initiated Soil Stimulant (as recommended by Bob Flowerdew :lol: ), just enough to keep the heap damp.

:lol: too much info Ryan :lol:

Thanks very much for all the replies.

I will mention the replies to my local turning club as we have a sack of shavings every Friday and its always the same people who take them home for the binmen.

I am looking forward to finishing a project and offering it up for critique. At the moment I am still learning and I can see my mistakes once my pieces are finished and don't need any more help in telling me whats gone wrong................................................
but as I'm typing this I'm thinking may be I am thinking this through wrong, what I should be asking is how to fix my problems not what problems I have. :idea: Lightbulb moment.

Many thanks again Simon

Back