Turning old Elm?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJBG

Reaction score
I removed a purlin form a cottage, guessing that the purlin is about 150 years old.
I had ideas about turning it on a lathe at the local mens shed.
Can anyone advise if wood of this age can be turned and if it is sensible to do so.
As per pictures.

Thank you
Jack

Yes. You'll need face protection & a respirator.
Start with a slow speed until all the loose stuff has gone.
The forum has a wood turning & lathe section which probably would be a better place to ask.

Like Robbo I would say yes as well but would first saw out a blank of the harder wood to reduce the amount of nasty dust flying around.
Regards
John

hope u know how to sharpen a bevel coz u gonna be needing that skill......
I cut up a 200 year old Oak beam at my house......it was as hard as concrete......
the chains on the saw would go blunt with mins.....

I removed a purlin form a cottage, guessing that the purlin is about 150 years old.
I had ideas about turning it on a lathe at the local mens shed.
Can anyone advise if wood of this age can be turned and if it is sensible to do so.
As per pictures.

Thank you
Jack

Looks like it's full of worm to me, but you should be able to turn it as elm doesn't get hard like oak does. I planed some old elm boards and it was lovely wood to work with.

I'd give it a go as long as you're sensible with lathe speed and get it into a chuck asap you could get some nice bud vases out of it

Back