Turning Lignum Vitae

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow I am picking up a couple of bowling woods, which I hope to turn into at least one dovetailing mallet.

The shape I favour is the 'upturned plant-pot' type, with a Maple handle.

I am no turner, but am okay with a roughing gouge, scrapers and sandpaper. I do have a 'long-hole' borer, and I have no qualms about faceplate or screw-chuck turning.

So is there anything particular to watch out for when turning Lignum? (I will be wearing goggles BTW!)

I know the 'woods' are biased when they are turned, so I envisage it being difficult to find a non-wobbly axis! Therefore, should I square off the wood first?

If I am successful at first attempt, I might clean up the other wood to use for a paperweight!
On the other hand I might well be shouting ... 'Hellllppppp!' :mrgreen:

Regards
John :)

Thanks Chris. My Grandfather's tools actually! And I am 72.... :mrgreen:

My stumbling block is sharpening gouges... But I take on board what you say.

Obliged...

Hi John,good to see some new young blood coming into the turning forum,
wish you well with the L/V turning keep us posted on your progress.

REgards Boysie

hi john
i did the same thing a while ago
here's a link

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/bowling-balls-to-mallets-for-critique-please-t44760.html

i dug out the inserts and drilled right through with a 1 inch forstner bit and then mounted the bowl on 1 inch shaft.

i was told when turning lignum vitae that you basically scrape it into shape.

i mainly used a skew chisel.

as Chris said you need to keep the tools sharp though but it is very rewarding using a mallet that you made yourself. (hammer)
best of luck
paul-c

Thanks Paul, Boysie,

Boysie... I am glad someone realises I am still a 'young at heart' kinda guy!

Paul, I think your post is where I got the idea to be honest. I was wondering how I would 'find the centre'!

Did you push the handle right through and 'hammer-wedge' it?

I will do me best and keep youse all posted.. However it turns out! :mrgreen:
Incidentally, there are quite a few wooden 'bowls' going 'begging' on eBay at the moment. (Excuse the pun!)

Regards and thanks again guys.

John :D

hi John
on either side of the bowl there will be a plastic or ivory (depending on the age of the bowls ) white disc.
you need to dig these out , i used them as my centre and drilled through on my pillar drill.

as for the handle ,i drilled a 5mm hole through the shaft and a cut on the bandsaw down to the 5mm hole at about half way through the head , so that the wedge didn't split the handle.

6015079086_a77201f812_b.jpg

i know this drawing is hopeless but it might explain what i was trying to say :oops:

cheers
paul-c

Thanks Paul.
That is quite explanatory, so no worries.
I must remember not to tell the person from whom I am buying these, what I am using them for. 8)

I suppose I could always learn to roll them, and buy another set off eBay! Yeah... Right!

Thanks again.
Regards

I found the worst part of this process was drilling out the centre of the bowl on the pillar drill. When I did mine I thought the bowl was well secured when slowly drilling through. Not the case and once the bowl started spinning there was nothing I could do before it was flying across the workshop at a surprising speed considering the pillar drill was at it's lowest speed. It was quite frighting and bent the drill shank nearly 45 deg. So make sure you have a good grip when drilling as they are a difficult shape to hold securely.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

I anticipated that and I think I am going to make up a box, to hold the wood. Drill through into the wood about 3/4" deep and then secure with Kreg self tapping screws.

It might work, but having never used Lignum before, I don't know how easy it will be to screw into. I might end up having to use metal self-tappers! As long as I don't go too deep, the holes should vanish with the turning.

I am obliged.

Regards
John :D

Back