Table lamp research and a silly price

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard_C

Established Member
Reaction score
I got a 4x4x14 (inches) yew spindle in a mixed lot a year or so ago. Bit 'ratty' but today I decided to turn it into a vase and line it with a guinness can. Having roughed it to a cylinder and squared the ends to seen what I really had, table lamp came into my head. Its got a few inclusions that might make boring out a big diameter risky.

So I went looking for designs and ideas, and stumbled on this. It says 39 inches high, but that's to the socket so the wooden bit is maybe 30 max. looks to be a bargain at a mere £1,800 (without shade)

www.1stdibs.co.uk/furniture/lighting/table-lamps/extra-large-midcentury-turned-wood-lamp/id-f_19061912/

It does have some appeal, but I don't like it that many ££££ much. At first I assumed that the split (pictures 3 and 4) was natural, but looking closely around the base it looks like a deliberately cut slot, saves all that tedious skilled stuff like boring long holes I guess. Says it's 1970's but who can or could tell. Tempted to relieve the local farmer of a few in service fence posts, already nicely patinated with age and nail holes, and set out to Oklahoma to make my fortune.

(I've found plenty of lamp socket kits on the 'bay so am not asking for help there, but if any regular table lamp makers have a favoured supplier do let me know. I would like one with a short extension bar/tube.)

When I moved into my house I had two 1960 chrome and glass chandeliers. I found an identical one, in my eyes anyhow, on that website for about £1000. I’m in the money…… well after many rounds on eBay I eventually sold it for £70. Is it provenance that is required and it’s the rarity you’re paying for? Perhaps, in which case it’s no different to those new NFT thingies.

We kept one for posterity.
AB332D56-1EED-45EA-A754-4CD74576A30E.jpeg

…a few in service fence posts, already nicely patinated with age and nail holes, and set out to Oklahoma to make my fortune…

What luck! I’ve got some fencing to replace, so have hundreds of rotten posts! Worn smooth by generations of rustic use (sheep scratching their butts). Let’s team up, I supply the “character” timber, you make the lamps. This time next year we'll be millionaires!

Back