turning a pint "glass"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creampuff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

A friend of mine popped round the other day while i was out in the shed making a mess.

at the time I was trying to make myself a lignum/bubinga mallet for carving, which to my amazement didn't turn out to bad, if a little smaller then i'd hoped.
anyway we got talking, and he asked if it would be possible to turn a Pint glass type vessel out of wood, once my fits of laughter had passed and I realised he was actually serious, I started thinking a bit and thought it might be a laugh to give it a go.

So any ideas what sort of wood I should use, and how I should go about it, being as I'm very new to turning, and have only ever turned a handful of bowls and a mallet.

Suggestions please?

Regards

Andy

Beech or sycamore are the usual woods for anything to do with food and drink. You will need to coat the inside with something like melamine lacquer. Several good coats will do it. If you use the different spirit based finishes the alcohol can react with it and cause problems so I wouldn't advise using the spray lacquers personally.

Pete

About 8 years or so back I was asked if I worked in metal at all because the guy wanted me to make a replica of my Selangor pewter pot for his cousin. I didn't but I told him I might be able to do one in wood?

Here is the result. It's maple and mahogany. The wall is about 2mm thick and parallel to the bottom. The base was mounted on a small tenon about 1/8" and he was chuffed to death with it.

Selangorepot-1.jpg

I was so pleased with it that when I needed to think of something different for my eldest grandsons christening I made a 2/3 size and pyrographed it

Jacobschristningpot.jpg

The date, etc. are on the other side.

So to answer the question, yes it is possible to do a glass and the wood I would recommend is a nice piece of maple.. Pretty well the same as sycamore.

Or if you dont want to use melamine lacquer, you can go the Woodsman's Cup/Finnish Kuksa route and boil the thing in natural oil untill the bubbles stop comming out of the wood and then leave to dry for a few weeks .

or i've heard that boiling in salt water and then rubbing down the raised grain with the back of a spoon or sandpaper, then repeating the process, then finally a load of coats of a natural oil, is supposed to work too.

Both these methods are supposed to leave no noticeable taste in the liquid being drank from the cup.

I did a load of research into Kuksa's a while back and that is pretty much what i found. Kuksa's are traditionally used for hot/cold/alcoholic beverages.

Latest posts

Back