Tung oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wanlock Dod

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just finished making my first hardwood project, a kitchen table in sycamore, which has taken quite some time. I've now started to finish it with tung oil and have put on the first coat, thinned to about 50% with white spirit. It seems to have dried OK, and perhaps a bit quicker than I may have expected, perhaps this an effect of the thinning.

Should I rub it down before I put on the next coat, and indeed between every coat. If so should I sand it or would a quick rub over with one of those pan scourer type pads be adequate?

Many thanks,

Dod

Dod,

I am not a finishing expert, but this what I have done in the past.

I have used Liberon finishing oil, which is Tung oil based. The first coat always soaks in and dries quicker than any other. I put 2 coats on and then just lightly rub back, the build with an oil finnish is very thin so be gentle. I did use 0000 wire wool but have gone over to the pan scourer pads (I love that description :roll: ) from Chestnut. I then repeat this until I am happy with the finish, I have used 6 coats on the top of a HiFi cabinet to allow for stuff being stood on it a lot.

Thanks Dave,

I'll get another coat or two on and pick up some of those grey pads to give it a quick rub down.

pan scourer pads (I love that description )
It's not because I'm particularly enthusiastic about washing up :D

Cheers,

Dod

Back