Tung oil Finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homeless Squirrel

Established Member
Reaction score
Oil finished my mallet which has oak head with Beech handle(Repurposed from a Table?)
First coats seemed to stay shiny but now just going matt after subsequent coats/rub overs!

I think proper Tung oil takes a long time to fully cure/harden because it lacks the solvents of things like Danish oil so maybe comeback to it in a couple of weeks. My garage/workshop stayed below zero all of yesterday and looks set to be the same all week. If your mallet is in a similarly cold place that won't help.

yes it takes about 1-2 months to fully cure if it's pure tung oil, I thin it out with white spirit 50/50 for the first 2-3 coats.

I was looking it up on t'internet the other day, and saw it described as having a matt finish. Which was interesting as I have used it to finish some peg-type buttons for a musical instrument. These were in African blackwood, and I used a triple buffing system on my lathe to achieve a fairly high gloss.

I've been experimenting with tung oil and found a mix of 1/3rd tung oil 1/3rd beeswax and 1/3rd real turpentine spirits all heated first in a pan (on electric as v combustable} gives a really nice finish on some internal oak skylight trims. just my 2c worth

Back