Tung Oil Finish problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdust.king

Reaction score
I am refinishing the top of a buffet. I have sanded allthe existing scratces etc for a very smooth finish. Do not know the wood species, but it seems soft. Top is 20" By 60" solid--not glued up.
Now the problem. After sanding to 220 grit I stained a medium mahogany (Minwax) Have put three coats of tung oil (Minwax) 24 hours apart and buffed each coat. I then applied two coats of furniture wax, but I still have a dull coat. It really doesn't look to much different than it did just stained.

Hope this explains itself.......Thanks
Jim

Did you make sure the previous coat of oil was dry before the next one? I've found that unless you re-visit the oil after about 20 minutes of applying to remove all excess, you can get this type of problem.

Ray.

Whoops, just re-read the original post - you see, 1 coat's not enough, that's why you applied 3...

Sorry - serves me right for multi-tasking :oops:

Hi Jim,

I'm very fond of tung oil, but it really can take a while to really dry.

It sounds as though you have put on a coat a day for about 3 days (i.e. 24 hours apart). If I was putting a repeat coat on a tung oil finish (or another finish on top). I would usually wait at least a week for it to dry before I do. This isn't a problem for me because I'm never really in that much of a hurry (if I was I would use a different finish).

I suspect that this could be contributing to the problem.

If the first coat is thinned a bit with white spirits then the second coat can often be applied sooner (but still thinking in terms of days rather than hours). I still tend to apply this principle to items that I have burnished with shavings (I am mostly turning, so it is quite easy then). I am also usually putting a wax on top of the oil, but usually no stain underneath.

Remedy? Can't say I've tried but remove wax with a wax removing thingy, put on another coat of oil (rubbed well into the remaining coat), leave it to dry (or cure?) for a goodly while, then it's out with the wax again.

Cheers,

Dod

Hi Jim.

I think with all these oil products application should be small and many, with ample time between coats to allow the surface to dry. I don't use Tung oil on its own, but I do use 'Finishing Oil which is Tung Oil based with the addition of different resins and driers which accelerates drying and allows you to re-coat ever 8 hours or so.

Application, I brush the oil on, leave for 10mins. then wipe off and buff with a cloth, continue re-coating until you have the depth of finish you require, with drying time between coats. Leave for at least a week or more to harden off, all oil finishes dry to a matt - satin surface. If you wish to have a gloss surface I use a burnishing cream rubbing until I achieve the shine I want.

Finally the item gets about 3 coats of 'Renaissance Wax' buffed well in by hand, and allowed to harden for at least 2 days before use.

Latest posts

Back