Tuffsaws Bandsaw Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I'm a convert!

I have been using standard blades from Axminster or my local supplier on my Axminster 4300 bandsaw for some years but having read recent threads regarding Tuffsaw bandsaw blades sent Ian an email and asked his advice and recommendations.

For the past few years I have always used 3/8" wide with 6tpi as I have found that they are an excellent general purpose blade and work for me so opted to stick with the same to give a true comparison but opted for an M42 blade which is much harder steel and should last significantly longer.

I have been paying approx £15 for standard blades and the M42 came in at £25.50 (plus £2.85 p&p) so a tenner more for the blade but if it lasts longer it will be worth it.

Well the blade arrived yesterday and between gluing up panels (because I ran out of sash cramps :roll: ) I fitted the new blade and as advised by Ian adjusted the tension to that for a 1/2" wide blade as apparently these blades require slightly more tension.

As well as replacing the blade I also have already got some replacement bearings for the guides and changed these as well.

All I can say is WOW! I honestly cannot believe the difference - The blade did not need the rear edges honing and the teeth are extremely sharp. I did a few trial cuts and hot knife and butters springs to mind. I was even able to cut some 2mm thick veneers of a 9" deep section of oak with perfect results, no blade inflection whatsoever.

So in a nutshell - Would I recommend them - NOT HALF! and tremendous service as well so the morale is dont replace your bandsaw - just buy a decent blade!

Rog

Funnily enough Rog I have been ripping some 6" oak into veneers today. I also was using one of Ians blades he had recomended for this purpose and although not one of the M42 blades it was amazing slicing through the oak with ease. I measured the thickness of the cut veneer afterwards and it was consistant at 2mm from one end to the other. I know where my next blades will be from in future.

Yea I got a tuff saw blade for the bandsaw I got form you.. I went for 4tpi though so I could cut thicker sections. £7 for my blade so was a lot cheaper than I expected.

and another one for the tuffsaw blades, i got the tuff premium blade for my cheapo clarke woodworker a nice clean cut and easy to tension, the woodworker june 2010 rates these blades as having no bad points. i have to agree with them.

I've been using Tuffsaws blades for the best part of two years now for hard and soft wood, I've used them for ripping, cross cutting, re-sawing verniers and detail work and in my honest opinion the best value for money, stunning performance and very reliable, I truthfully wouldn't buy blades from anyone else, quick service with a great information regarding everything you need to know about blades from Ian (owner) its a pleasure doing business with him

I agree with all comments thus far. I made a big bow saw a while ago and was a bit stumped for a blade to fit it, so I emailed Ian and asked if he could let me have a couple of bits of bandsaw blade. Within two days a couple of lumps of 25mm blade had arrived...FOC. Great service and great blades =D> - Rob

Jonzjob":3qejc8fk said:
I have just fitted my last Axminster blade and am very interested in getting Tuff saw blades, but I can't fine Ians contact details.

Can anyone let me have them please? Also, does any one know if he will send stuff to France?

Here you go m8, [email protected]

Ian is a great bloke if he can help you out, he will well worth asking him

Cheers

Dave

Jonzjob":2n6rlqrt said:
Thanks gents. I have had a look at the site and it looks VERY competitive and I have also e-mailed and had a reply from Ian!! Very impressive indeed to get a reply so quickly on a Sunday! Thank you Ian...

I will be doing some ordering in the morning me-thinks!

You wont be disappointed - My bandsaw is like a brand new machine!

Rog

When you said you tensioned it the same as a 1/2" blade, how did you measure the tension? I too have some tuff blades coming any day now..

ok, so my 1/2” x 3tpi M42 arrived yesterday, and I just tensioned it as tight as i could turn the handle. I can still press the blade a couple of mm at the middle to one side.

Cut very nicely indeed, was able to test cut a 2mm veneer from some really rough softwood stock.

Definitely recommend them.

I hope the quality mentioned in these posts is enough to make up for the slow delivery. Having read about the excellent service I didn't read the bit on the web-site about up to 10 days for delivery. My standard length blade is still showing as processing after 3 days.

I don't think Ian promises next day delivery for his £2.84 postage charge, but mine came within 2 days of ordering last week?

Rod

I wasn't expecting next day delivery but I would normally expect next day dispatch from most companies these days especially with the glowing comments. Payment was marked as confirmed on the account the day the order was placed and it does state they will contact you if goods are not in stock. Perhaps my expectations are too high.

Update: My blade has now been dispatched so perhaps I was a bit hasty with my complaints.

chrisbaker42":3vlnqlet said:
I wasn't expecting next day delivery but I would normally expect next day dispatch from most companies these days especially with the glowing comments. Payment was marked as confirmed on the account the day the order was placed and it does state they will contact you if goods are not in stock. Perhaps my expectations are too high.

Update: My blade has now been dispatched so perhaps I was a bit hasty with my complaints.

Hi Chris

All blades are made to order and the order was placed at 3.30pm on the 5th, I made the blade the following day and posted it on the 7th (today).
I was hoping to get the blade in the post yesterday but unfortunately I was late leaving the workshop and missed the post office.

I always try and get orders dispatched by next working day but unfortunately this is not always possible and at most it's a two day dispatch period. If I know a customer is desperate for an order, then I will always go the extra mile to dispatch the order as fast as possible.

On the plus side - the blades are definitely worth waiting for :D

Regards

Ian

My apologies, I am so used to dealing with poorer quality off the shelf materials, or perhaps it was my frustration at not having any spare blades and being unable to cut any wood.

Really looking forward to trying it out and ordering some more.

Latest posts

Back