Trying to decide whether to join you turners...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what the thoughts\ comments of the more experienced guys on here are, but i just love my Record Power DML , have you had a look there ?? - they have quite a range, even for beginners.

http://www.recordpower.co.uk

Regards the Book - Great read, full of advice, however, get yourself along to a class or some other tuition, 100 x better than any book/dvd.

Regs

Loz

brianhabby":1dp80w8g said:
Okay, thanks guys,

Dave,

Is the SIP one you have the same as the Draper? The link was just to show the lathe not the price. There is one advertised locally second hand at £180.00.

regards

Brian

It is - and £180 second hand feels quite steep?

davejester":1dp80w8g said:
The chuck is the most important thing for me. I'd have gone out and bought one a few weeks later if I didn't have one. Haven't spent a penny on tools but did get a good selection with the lathe

I agree, my chuck cost more than my first lathe and was money well spent.

I've just had another look at the advert and it says it comes with tools but not which tools. So I guess it really depends on what comes with it whether it's worth it or not.

I've just left a message for the seller to get back to me so we'll see what happens.

regards

Brian

Well, I've just got back from viewing this Draper lathe and have agreed to buy it for £150.

There is no stand with it but it is mounted on a wooden bench which I can have as well. The lathe hasn't been used for about three years and there is some surface rust to clean up, but not too much.

It comes with two chucks and over a dozen turning chisels, so I think with the extras it is worth £150. I'm picking it up on Wednesday evening.

regards

Brian

brianhabby":135wj6ah said:
Well, I've just got back from viewing this Draper lathe and have agreed to buy it for £150.

There is no stand with it but it is mounted on a wooden bench which I can have as well. The lathe hasn't been used for about three years and there is some surface rust to clean up, but not too much.

It comes with two chucks and over a dozen turning chisels, so I think with the extras it is worth £150. I'm picking it up on Wednesday evening.

regards

Brian

Sound like a good deal Brian, can't wait to see your work :)

Good luck

Dave

Welcome to the money pit Brian. :lol: I have a Draper, ancient and bought of ebay for £35 a few years ago!

I think you have to 'buy and try' before you know what is going to be more important to you. I could do with a new lathe, I can manage on this one. BUT, when I do go to buy a new one, I know what features will make life easier for me with the way I turn and what features are less important. You can't know what you will enjoy turning until you have been doing it a while.

You sound to have got a good buy there. have fun!

Sounds like a good buy, Brian - chucks alone must be worth 150! Flash us a pic of your first efforts....... or even of the buy - you may even qualify for a gloat.....

Thanks for the encouraging comments,

I'll certainly post a pic of the buy, it might be a while before i've got any turning worth posting though :wink:

regards

Brian

That's it....you are now officially on the slope. Sounds like you have a good start. Let's face it most odf us want a new lathe after about 6 months but the lod adage 'a bad workman blames his tools' comes to mind every time I see some of things turned on pole lathes and lod 3 speed belt lathes. Look forward to seeing your masterpieces

Pete

Welcome to the club,Brian - as said,with a couple of chucks,you've certainly got good value :D
And don't be shy about posting your early turnings ; there's a wealth of constructive friendly advice to be had on the forum,which has certainly helped me over the last couple of years (and still does)
I've still got my first turnings - regardless of if I can do better now or not,they were still my first,and will still be kept (yes,I'm sentimental about them :wink: )

Andrew

This is what I got for my money

The lathe, A Draper WTL90. A bit rusty but it works okay and should clean up nicely.

lathe.jpg

These are the two chucks. I don't know anything about them, maybe one of the forum experts can explain :)

chucks.jpg

I also got a load of turning chisels, about twenty in total. Quite a good mix, now all I have to do is learn what to do with them.

chisels.jpg

Most of the chisels (is that the right word?) have got a bit of surface rust on them but nothing that can't be quite easily cleaned with a bit of emery paper. Some of them have the slogan 'The Home of Woodturning' written on the handle. Some are just plain.

I also got the wooden bench that he had the lathe mounted on but I think I will re-make that when I get round to it. At the moment, I am waiting for a corner in the workshop to become clear so I can get it all in place and start turning.

regards

Brian

Brian,

don't do it!!!!!!! There is yet time to save yourself. Step back from the precipice......take a deep breath.......and promise yourself that however bad things get you don't ever need to tread this path again.

Save youself! .......and save you friends from having to smile insincerely every time you hand them yet another bowl........

:D :D

Mike

Mike Garnham":z335x2a1 said:
Brian,
Save youself! .......and save you friends from having to smile insincerely every time you hand them yet another bowl....

Oh no! So that's what that look is! I thought my friends had all just become very tired.

Ohhhhh, I get it....TIRED of getting bowls.

I'm devastated! :cry:

Oh well, I'll just go and make NEW friends :D

Brendan

I have to admit to not having used the lathe since I bought it back in July. It has been stuck under the bench waiting for some room in the workshop.

As for whether it was worth the money, I'd say at £150 with all the extras a definate yes, even though I've not used it yet.

I really must get things sorted in the workshop this year. Last year was spent on a few larger projects which seemed to take over the small space that I have available.

I'm all wound up about this again now :D

regards

Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for giving a link to my club's website at www.cheshireandnorthwaleswoodturners.co.uk

I look after the web-site for the club and we will be glad to welcome you back to assist your slide down the slippery slope of woodturning.

We will also be back at Woodfest in June.

I live not too far away from you in Rhyl and it generally takes me about 30 mins to get to the club.

Our next meeting is on Jan 28th - a members night - so should be plenty of chance to talk to others etc.

Hope to see you there.

Very best of Luck with the 'new' venture Brian ... I'm sure you'll love it, and spend ever-increasing amounts of time at your lathe.

Don't listen to 'That Man Garnham' ... we all know he sneaks out at night to a secret shed where he's got a VB36 that he lovingly rubs with both hands before demonically spinning huge platters and then anonymously deposits them with friends, romans and countrymen :wink: :D

Mike - you know the phrase.. 'methinks thou protesteth toooo much; ?
heh heh ...
So will we 'out' you in 2010 as the fullblown turner we know you to be ??

Come on, post them up ( pics ), you know you want to :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back