Triton, Trend T11 or Router Lift

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike.C":1dmke6p4 said:
At roughly £190 for the large one I am totally convinced the Triton is the one for me, I am just waiting to see which model I should go for?
I bought the larger Triton some years ago when my big Ryobi (RE601E) failed right in the middle of a job. I then used the Triton both hand-held and inverted and it dealt with anything I wanted. The only task I was not totally comfortable with was using it on my Leight D4 dovetail jig, as it was a little "tippy" on such a comparatively narrow platform.

Once the smaller model appeared I immediately bought one and it's proved to be ideal for use with the Leigh. It will handle kitchen worktops and some panel raising bits, but obviously doesn't have the overall grunt of the larger machine. Both are made for table use, with no upward-facing cooling slots when inverted. Comparative review here may help you to decide.

Ray.

Regarding adjustment; I find I'm often adjusting bit height with my eye at table level. Thus reaching under for the fine height adjuster is often not a problem at all. I'm not sure if top adjustment is just a 'feature'; but I was very impressed when Philly whistled his router up and down from the table side with a cordless drill on the elevating bolt head....

I have a big Ryobi in the table (600E). Getting a cranked spanner allows you to get it on the nut from above, but the biggest pain is holding the spindle lock underneath whilst doing this.

Mike,
Obvious choice for measuring aids are:-
1) TREND jig for height measurement of a blade or router cutter which I think is both metric and imperial
2) I have used a digital vernier set to measure height and I sort of remember that Tony did something similar
3) You can buy digital height measuring kits..try Wixey, Grizzley web sites.

You pays your money and takes your choice
regards

alan

Ivan":2ummp7ra said:
]but I was very impressed when Philly whistled his router up and down from the table side with a cordless drill on the elevating bolt head....

Tut tut Philly - don't let Andy@Trend know that you do that ;)!

Mike I replaced an Elu 177E with a Trend T11 and together with a Xtreme Xtension, for me it's the perfect router table router. And outside the table it's great too. I personally didn't like the feel of the Triton, and I've only had good expereriences of Trend support so that's why I chose the T11.

Cheers

Gidon

ivan":3b05hrkf said:
...but I was very impressed when Philly whistled his router up and down from the table side with a cordless drill on the elevating bolt head....
Tragically, so was he... :lol: (Okay, so I may have let slip a very slight "ooo", but I was tired and easily amused at the time... 8-[ )

Cheers, Alf

He, he..... :lol:
Come on, you really liked the "Philly Power Lift 2000"..... :lol:
To be fair (and before the Man From Trend tells me off) I did use a pathetically weak power screwdriver as the power source. Torque is not its forte'......... :wink:
Cheers
Philly :D

Thanks Adam I went and got the issue and it does seem very good. It has it down at £250 I wonder if thats the RRP and if the dealers will sell it any cheaper?

Best i've seen is £234.94 from http://www.toolstation.com and £234.98 from http://www.machinemart.co.uk
D and M don't list it yet but they are usually one of the best for pricing. http://www.dm-tools.co.uk so might be worth a shout first off.
The router is very good, it doesn't have the removable plunge spring of the Tritons, but in my opinion, has a far better build quality.

Andy

I bought a "Router Raizer" to use with my Triton in a table. No bending down under the table for adjustments.
Works like a dream.

Chris.

andy king":2avr5lvs said:
The router is very good, it doesn't have the removable plunge spring of the Tritons, but in my opinion, has a far better build quality.

In what way?

The only thing about the triton that doesn't seem leagues ahead of the oppo is the plasticky rotary height adjuster, but in the three or so years I've been using it it has never played up at all, that bit included, despite its unimpressiveness from a tactile perspective. The rest of it is just bullet proof in table as far as I've worked out. Granted, I don't use it every day.

Ivan":31t7grp3 said:
but I was very impressed when Philly whistled his router up and down from the table side with a cordless drill on the elevating bolt head....

Tut tut Philly - don't let Andy@Trend know that you do that ;)!

Gidon

:-$ :whistle:

andy@trend

Philly":tluxdb9p said:
He, he..... :lol:
Come on, you really liked the "Philly Power Lift 2000"..... :lol:
To be fair (and before the Man From Trend tells me off) I did use a pathetically weak power screwdriver as the power source. Torque is not its forte'......... :wink:
Cheers
Philly :D

[-X ](*,)

andy@trend

Ray

Mike.C wrote:

At roughly £190 for the large one I am totally convinced the Triton is the one for me, I am just waiting to see which model I should go for?

I bought the larger Triton some years ago when my big Ryobi (RE601E) failed right in the middle of a job. I then used the Triton both hand-held and inverted and it dealt with anything I wanted. The only task I was not totally comfortable with was using it on my Leight D4 dovetail jig, as it was a little "tippy" on such a comparatively narrow platform.

Once the smaller model appeared I immediately bought one and it's proved to be ideal for use with the Leigh. It will handle kitchen worktops and some panel raising bits, but obviously doesn't have the overall grunt of the larger machine. Both are made for table use, with no upward-facing cooling slots when inverted. Comparative review here may help you to decide.

Ray.

Ray, the comparative review should have helped me decide which one to buy but you made the two of them sound so bloody good I want them both.

Seriously, after reading your review and because of the above table adjustment I do slightly prefer the smaller of the 2, but because I use so many big router bits it is going to have to be the larger of the one.

Now where to get it from. The Triton Tools website has them up at £184.89, can anyone better that?

http://tritontools.co.uk/product_info.p ... 0e0a7e7356

By the way Ray excellent reviews.

Cheers guys

Mike

Andy

I'm curious (and I s'pose not a little disappointed) that you haven't engaged in this debate given that Trend's flagship router is under serious (and not always positive) discussion.

I don't think the mods would mind or see it as advertising. Rob Lee from Lee Valley regularly discusses their products for example.

Cheers

Tim

Mike.C":1y6higcz said:
What router table insert do you guys use?

I note that Axminster sell one but is there any other good ones on the market?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... e=1&jump=0

Also as I mentioned above does anyone know of a cheaper Triton TRB001 then £184.99 at Triton tools, or is that the best price I am going to get?

Cheers

Mike

£185 isn't bad, considering that my local B&Q are selling them @ £250.

tim":284hywcs said:
Andy

I'm curious (and I s'pose not a little disappointed) that you haven't engaged in this debate given that Trend's flagship router is under serious (and not always positive) discussion.

I don't think the mods would mind or see it as advertising. Rob Lee from Lee Valley regularly discusses their products for example.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim,

I am quite happy to discuss any aspect of our products on this forum and take note of all posters observations, complaints, suggestions, likes and dislikes, however, I obviously don't want to promote features and benefits of Trend products by commenting on competitors machines, this could be seen as slagging the competition,

I hope you appreciate my point,

:D

andy@trend

Latest posts

Back