Triton, Trend T11 or Router Lift

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.C

Established Member
Reaction score
I am going to build my own router table soon and I have been thinking about either getting a new router and/or a router lift, and as some of you have one or the other of the above I was wondering if I could pick your brains.

First of all does either the Triton or the Trend T11 do everything that the various router lifts on the market do?

Secondly, I have seen a router lift in action and to raise and lower the router it is a simple matter of turning a handle above the table. This means that very fine adjustment and bit change is a doddle.
I know that you have to bend down (or do you?) and reach under the table, but this aside, is the fine adjustment and bit change just as easy with the 2 routers?

If you were building a new router table which option would you go for and why?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":305a1394 said:
First of all does either the Triton or the Trend T11 do everything that the various router lifts on the market do?

As far as I can see, yes. I looked into both routes and chose the Triton and never regretted it.

Secondly, I have seen a router lift in action and to raise and lower the router it is a simple matter of turning a handle above the table. This means that very fine adjustment and bit change is a doddle.
I know that you have to bend down (or do you?) and reach under the table, but this aside, is the fine adjustment and bit change just as easy with the 2 routers?

I always wondered just how many turns it takes to wind up a router lift so that you can change the cutter and then wind all those turns all the way back again. Triton - switch off - push up - automatically locks the spindle - job done
If you were building a new router table which option would you go for and why?

Triton. Why fudge about ? I can see possibly needing to use a router lift if you're going to be taking the router in and out all the time but sicne the Triton has it all...why bother with a lift?

I think the seperate router lifts are an unnecessary expense these days Mike.

The T11 and the Triton both adjust easily from above the table, and I think the new Freud 1/2" model may do likewise.

Bit changing above the table on the T11 is made a doddle by using an Xtreme Xtension adaptor which allows you to change bits above the table using just an allen key with no need to worry about spindle locks and/or spanners. Not sure how the Triton works in that respect.

Both machines appear to be well regarded by their users, try and have a look/handle both before you choose. Personally, I dislike the aesthetics and handling of the Triton and chose the T11, but many chose the Triton and are equally happy .......!

Cheers, Paul. :D

I think the triton wins this one. I have the little one fitted in the table and it's bloody great. It's it just so easy to change cutters with the spindle lock.

The ONLY reason I didn't choose Triton when I went looking for a router to augment my elderly Elu177E was that the spoindle wasn't hollowed out far enough to accommodate the Clico cutters I use for mortising. Apart from that it is perfect. I bought a DeWalt instead. It's OK.

I was later given a Trend T11, and while it is OK, and indeed the height adjustnmesnt is excellent, the overall build quality isn't as good as the original 177 on which it is based. Trend missed a golden opportunity there to create the World's Best Router. Sorry Trend, but it's true.

My big router of choice is still my old Elu 177E, but then I don't own a Triton.

Cheers
Steve

So I don't want a router lift. Now its just a matter of deciding which of the 2 routers to buy, but I must admit the Triton is looking good.

Thank you all for your quick replies.

Cheers

Mike

Have to agree with Roger, the Triton has it all and no extras are required.
I think its the best router i've owned and would recommend it to anyone looking for a table mounted machine with real grunt. Changing bits is so easy and quick. A pleasure to work with it.
beejay

I love the triton routers - have the big one in a table and it is just perfect. I hold no candle for the rest of their stuff, but the routers are really well thought out.

chisel":1b3uguum said:
The T11 and the Triton both adjust easily from above the table, and I think the new Freud 1/2" model may do likewise.

Bit changing above the table on the T11 is made a doddle by using an Xtreme Xtension adaptor which allows you to change bits above the table using just an allen key with no need to worry about spindle locks and/or spanners. Not sure how the Triton works in that respect.
In the interest of absolute accuracy, only the 2.25HP Triton (MOF001) is capable of above-the-table adjustment, using a handle that engages with the fine adjuster via a 13mm additional hole in the table.

The larger, 3.25HP machine (TRB001) does not have this feature. However, as both have a rack-and-pinion winder and a fine adjuster that works throughout the plunge range, height adjustment is not a problem, especially with the swift plunge spring removal.

As has been said, the Triton routers have the excellent feature of above-the-table bit changing built in. This is, by far, the most useful and often-praised part of the design.

Ray.

Hi,
The Triton has everything except ...... the means to measure the raise or drop of adjustment in the table. The lifting part is exceptional but the scale apoplied to the lifting adjustment arm is pants. It does not provide any accurate means to measure the amount of raise or drop.

I would buy it anyway as the Triton is the best for table use but also budget for a decent measurement aid also.

alan

Mike

I have had the T11 (3 of them) now gone back and been refunded. I ahve subsequently bought the big Triton although not used it yet.

To reduce repetition see these previous posts:
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=117043#117043
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=158725#158725

Maybe I got the Friday afternoon one (but not three times surely) but it seems that there are inherent design faults in the T11 if its meant to be used 'often' inverted. However I cannot fault Trend's customer service and I'm still a contented user of several of their other products

Cheers

Tim

Thanks Tim, Ray, the Triton it is then. But which one? Common sense tells me it has to be the big one (TRBOO1) because it will be permanently in the table and I use quite a lot of big router bits, but I do like the idea of being able to adjust the router from above the table like the MOF001 does.

Ray,

In the interest of absolute accuracy, only the 2.25HP Triton (MOF001) is capable of above-the-table adjustment, using a handle that engages with the fine adjuster via a 13mm additional hole in the table.

The larger, 3.25HP machine (TRB001) does not have this feature. However, as both have a rack-and-pinion winder and a fine adjuster that works throughout the plunge range, height adjustment is not a problem, especially with the swift plunge spring removal.

On the other hand will the smaller router take large bits such as a raised panel one, you know the type you get with a rail and style set?

Alan,Hi,
The Triton has everything except ...... the means to measure the raise or drop of adjustment in the table. The lifting part is exceptional but the scale apoplied to the lifting adjustment arm is pants. It does not provide any accurate means to measure the amount of raise or drop.

I would buy it anyway as the Triton is the best for table use but also budget for a decent measurement aid also.

Alan can you recommend a measurement aid?

Cheers Guys

Mike

This months GWW had a review of a new Freud router which appeared to do everything you mention. But I'd double check as maybe I read it wrong.

Adam

Mike

I own and regualrly use both the Trend T11 and the Triton.

For me, there is no doubt about which belongs in the table - the Triton.

The Trend is a great router, but for dedicated table use, it is not even a close call.

For hand/occasional table use, I would go for the T11

I think Router raser manufacturers must be quaking in their boots as their products are only so much joink now :wink: :lol:

Hope this is useful

Come over and play with the Trend/Triton if you want - pm me to arrange

Tony":3h37fx48 said:
The Trend is a great router, but for dedicated table use, it is not even a close call.

For hand/occasional table use, I would go for the T11

I agree with you that for hand use its fine except that I found that the brass nut on the depth adjuster vibrated round in use which meant that sometimes the cutter wouldn't fully retract after plunging. Have you noticed that at all?

Cheers

Tim

Adam,

This months GWW had a review of a new Freud router which appeared to do everything you mention. But I'd double check as maybe I read it wrong.

Thanks Adam I went and got the issue and it does seem very good. It has it down at £250 I wonder if thats the RRP and if the dealers will sell it any cheaper?

Tony

I think Router raser manufacturers must be quaking in their boots as their products are only so much joink now.

Tony (PM sent)I agree. Until I asked the question I really didn't know how much the Triton did and how much members loved them.

At roughly £190 for the large one I am totally convinced the Triton is the one for me, I am just waiting to see which model I should go for?

George_N,

Mike.C wrote:

can you recommend a measurement aid?

Mike

I have a Trend depth gauge, which is pretty good for setting router bit height and fence position.

Thanks George.

Cheers

Mike

tim":1yp4mott said:
I agree with you that for hand use its fine except that I found that the brass nut on the depth adjuster vibrated round in use which meant that sometimes the cutter wouldn't fully retract after plunging. Have you noticed that at all?

Cheers

Tim

Actually Tim, yes. This has happened a couple of times and is rather annoying

Tony":3ophwfru said:
tim":3ophwfru said:

Cheers

Tim

Actually Tim, yes. This has happened a couple of times and is rather annoying

Here too. It's such a shame, as it could and should have been so much better.

Cheers
Steve

Back