Triton Router Problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bookman

Established Member
Reaction score
My TR001 router has given up the ghost this evening - it's only about 8 months old. Lots of sparks inside the body so I checked the brushes as instructed in the manual; they look ok. I have been using the router in a Triton router table, and have been planing quite a bit of oak on it recently using a 2 1/2" long 1/2" straight cutter. Is it likely that this has been too much for this machine?

don't like the sound of that, I have just bought one and am awaiting delivery now, and I will be using it for kitchen worktops.

If yours has clapped out on work like this then I think I may re-think.

will be watching with interest.

Neil

Neil,
I have taken the router back to the shop where I bought it from this morning, and they are sending it away to be "asessed". Will report on the findings/result.

Regards,
Graham

You get exactly the same effect if you stall a router - damage is caused to a segment in the field windings. I'm not saying you stalled yours, just that the symptoms and signs are identical.

Ray

I used a couple of 1.5 hp Porter Cable Routers with some big bits about 5 hrs heavy use...making toungue and grove flooring.They were shooting sparks too ,off to my dealer and he said you just bought them go get two more.No charge ,now I told him I worked them hard,he didn`t care just told me to get two more an I`ll see you later.
Now thats a good warrenty.

Got my router back today, the unit is repaired rather than replaced which I think is a good thing - too many items are simply thrown away because the manufacturers do not want to be bothered. Maybe the turnaround was a little slower than I would have liked but not dreadful. All seems well with the router again. Thank you Argee for your comments. You could be right, but I'm not aware of stalling the machine. I find it difficult to hear what's going on when running the machine with the dust extraction on as well as wearing ear defenders. I almost exclusively use the router in the router table and I do not get such a feedback from the feel of the machine as perhaps one does with hand-held tools.

Back