Triton Router Problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andpartington

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Used the big Triton router for the first time today
What a tool !!!!

Just one problem

there is a threaded sleeve that screws on to the motor shaft and the Colet screws in the outer end.

This threaded sleeve thing has unscrewed itself and I can see no easy way to lock the spindle so I can nip the sleeve back up (the lock works on this part!!)

Anyone out there had this problem????

Thanks

Andy

Make sure that the cover is over the power switch, and turn the big knob until the router is fully plunged - when the collet sticks out the bottom of the base, the spindle locks automatically.

[Edit: Ah, misread your post, sorry, can't help]

its all sorted now thanks alot!! its grate to find a man who knows his tools!

as to how it happened i don't really know i was lining the cutter up tuning it by hang to find the best spot and the sleevey thing nu screwed..

i removed the top cover undid the plastic nut and was able to grip the shaft with the trusty. mole grips a little thread lock on the sleeve will hopefully stop lock it for good!

thanks

andy

The problem that occurred with andpartington has also just occurred with me. I heard a strange note and knew that I wasn't overloading the cutter. Stopping the router (in the table btw) I could see that the collet was loose. I assumed that it was the cutter loose in the collet but its the collet holder. I could easily unscrew the holder - two or three turns and it came free. :shock:

Not good at all.

Cheers

Tim

I've just spoken to the UK head office, but no similar reports since they've been distributing the router(s). I've racked my brains, but the direction of rotation and the thread direction would only ensure a tightening of the chuck assembly if a stall occurred. The only possibility I can come up with is that even if the machine was fully plunged (immediately after switching off) with some momentum remaining, contacted the spindle lock it would still tighten. In order to loosen, it needs to run backwards! Once loose, subsequent tightening of the bit would not redress this, as the lock works on the collet chuck, not the shaft.

I'll check with Australia and report back.

Ray.

I think its fixed - at least its not loose anymore. I also put some threadlock on it just in case.

Thanks for the speedy responses - lets see what the aussies have to say.

Cheers

Tim

Back