Triton Router Help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noddy67

Established Member
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to be in my local B&Q yesterday when the were heavily discounting some of their ex display power tools and picked up a Triton router (TRB001) for thirty pounds. The slight problem was that it came with none of the accessories and was missing its chuck and collets. I was wondering if anyone had an old one they would consider selling on or if anyone knows where I might be able to pick one up for a reasonable price.
Many thanks for any help.

Have a look at these two pictures:

triton13.jpg
triton14.jpg

On the left, how it should be, on the right the actual collet. If your collet is missing, you should see a fairly coarse female thread with a shallow sloping shoulder above it. If that is the case, then you're missing the actual collet and 1/4" insert sleeve, not the chuck assembly.

However, if you can only see a fine female thread with no sloping shoulder, then you're short the whole chuck assembly.

I can probably help you with the missing parts, but I don't know where you are in the UK - are you close enough to me to pop over? If you want to PM me your landline telephone number, we could speak this evening. HTH

Ray.

Thanks very much for your post Argee. Not certain which of your pictures mine looks like. I have enclosed below:

IMG_1718.jpg

IMG_1716.jpg

IMG_1715.jpg

I'd be very interested in your help. Looking at you location bizarrely I am pretty close to you so I'll IM you.

Hi Noddy
Which B & Q did you have luck with selling off display models - the ones near me say they can't sell ex-display stuff? I might just go and have another go...

The pictures show that you still have the collet chuck body (as expected) - that's the part showing with the two indents for the spindle lock. You'll need the collet itself and the 1/4" insert sleeve, plus anything else not supplied that would be - we can work out exactly what, at your convenience. I should be able to supply what you need. :)

Ray.

Stewart,
It was the one in Southborough in Kent. I just happened to walk buy and saw a couple of guys rummeraging through a big crate with a bunch of ex display power tools on substantial discount. I also managed to pick up a couple of drills and a belt sander for substantially less than they normally are.
If its any help the B & Q chap said they were all models that they were no longer going to stock and were making way for the new stuff.
Good luck

Stuart

Somewhat annoyingly my local B&Q won't sell me the last remaining display router, it looks fine. They insist that no electrical goods are to be sold from display even to staff. I have been told this several times being a persistent so and so but get nowhere. Told it's company policy not local.

Alan

The display thing varies from store to store.

The one I got was on display and there were no issues, they even found the box for it.

Have you tried the Triton web-site for parts. If you register theres a PDF listing all the parts with part number for the router.

Looking at your pics you need
TRA013 Chuck assembly (Cannot buy seperately)
TRA129 1/4 collet reducer
TRA066 Spanner

Graham

stewart":2nav3nzd said:
Hi Noddy
Which B & Q did you have luck with selling off display models - the ones near me say they can't sell ex-display stuff? I might just go and have another go...

I was told the same! "Under no circumstances can we sell you such products for health and safety reasons sir!"

Makes a mockery of the Ebay system if that is a legal requirement

Argee,
I have tried to pm you again (third time today - I guess I'm doing something wrong). If you haven't received anything please send me a pm and I'll reply.
Thanks

Persistence pays off! I gave my local B & Q another visit tonight and I guess I picked the right bloke on the shop floor to help - got the ex-display model for £65! Looks like it has the 1/2" collet if this is a one-piece affair. No 1/4" insert, spanner, fence, manual, etc but I'm feeling like an over-excited school boy at the moment. Don't suppose I'd be imposing myself on you, Argee, if I wanted to get some of the missing parts?? :)

Regarding the B&Q policy of not selling off ex display product:

I went through this a few years ago when trying to buy a wet n dry vac, reduced to £17:00..... I took it from under the racks and to the till, it was scanned and must have come up flagged somehow. Till girl rang the bell for a manager, who came along and explained that they cannot sell ex display electrical items because.....................and this is the bit to watch for...... because they cut the plugs off for display and thus cannot then sell because things are supposed to be sold with moulded plugs nowadays, so they would be breaking H&SE rules and compromising their own insurance with regards to consequent damages, litigation etc...

I looked at the "ex display" vac. it still had the plug on ! I pointed this out to the manager and he had to concur that there was no reason not to sell it to me....

When I asked what happened to all the ex display items I was told that they all get crushed......... What a waste of resources....

Anyway. hope this helps, just check if its got a plug on and if it has they cannot deny you a purchase.......

Just a quick thank you to Argee. He came over this morning to help me out and rout a counter top joint and at the same time supplied me with a new collet and suitable screws to mount the Triton in a table. All in all a great help. Many thanks.

I had a chat with a good tool rep I know because the guys fromy local b+q said that they " send all display stock back to the manufacturers" which he told me is a load of bull. They just cover their backsides in case of litigation should something go wrong with a display model and somebody decides to sue.
What a world it has become!

When I asked what happened to all the ex display items I was told that they all get crushed.........

I got told they all go to tool heaven! :lol:

May my ashes be scattered in that place.

Dave

Back