Trim saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philpolish

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all just wondered if anybody here has a cordless trim saw. I just want it for occasional use trimming doors and so on. Have seen a few advertised but would like to hear from anybody that actually uses one.

Thnaks in advance Phil.

Would'nt be without one !. First had the smaller Dewalt 18v years ago - got stolen when my workshop got broken into. Replaced with the bigger 18v DW bought from Ebay - have replaced the trigger twice in as many years but if your willing to repair yourself then the UK parts DO fit. After my local parts supplier kept me waiting a week for a switch - I bought the new DC390 18V DW to tide me over, again from a trusted Ebay supplier.
I use it for about everything - very usefull for crosscutting when used with a speedsquare. IMO it's safer than a mains rip snorter as it jams it just stops the motor whereas the snorter will jump out and maybe cause injury.
Go on you won't regret it.

Stephen

I had a B&D 14.4V one bought for me and wouldn't be without it now. I use it for just about everything from cutting 8x4s, worktops, chopping cabinets etc. I can use it one handed and it throws out very little dust which is handy when fitting on site.

Battery didn't last tool long so with a bit of plastic trimming it now takes my De Walt batteries.

Jason

I agree with Stephen as I to have the DC390 18Volt bought from my USA supplier for £50 + carriage- a very good buy. Very versatile and put to good use.

I've got a Dewalt 18v trimsaw, but I hardly ever use it. The reason, I'm never far from electricity and I get a much better cut with my Festool saw and 1400 guide rail, which always goes with me when I am on site.
I found the quality of the cut with the Dewalt to be disappointing, and the difficulty of cutting to a line to be more trouble than it was worth
John

I've got a cheapo one - find it very handy,but battery life could be better :(
But don't think I would use it as much if I had a bigger workshop :wink:

Andrew

No personal experiences with cordless trim saws but I read a review in a German magazine a few weeks ago. Of course, this review basically presents just one point of view but it still might be worth a look.
The result in short:
1. Makita BSR 730
2. Dewalt DC 390
3. Bosch GKS 24 V
4. Milwaukee V 28
5. Milwaukee PWS 18
6. Metabo KSAP 18

IMO, the major drawback of the review is that the Mafell cordless trim saws were not tested. I expect the Mafell cordless saws to offer the same level of quality as the corded "brothers" and would be seriously tempted if a needed a cordless saw. Mafell even offers a cordless saw with plunge action and guide rails are available, too. BTW, I understand that Mafell will introduce a cordless version of the KSS 400.

Hope this helps,

Christian

Barry Burgess":1hpgebcc said:
I agree with Stephen as I to have the DC390 18Volt bought from my USA supplier for £50 + carriage- a very good buy. Very versatile and put to good use.

Hi Barry any chance you can give me some contact details to purchase similar saw. Also do you have to purchase a transformer to charge battery.

Thanks for your time.
Regards Phil.

philpolish":f1qec6rf said:
Barry Burgess":f1qec6rf said:

Hi Barry any chance you can give me some contact details to purchase similar saw. Also do you have to purchase a transformer to charge battery.

Thanks for your time.
Regards Phil.

Apparently, many (cordless) tools are a lot cheaper in the USA than in Europe. Thus I'd be also tempted to purchase overseas. Please tell us more. Did you have to pay customs?
I would not mind buying a European 230 V charger additionally if buying the tools in the US would save me $$$.

Thanks,

Christian

There are three main Dewalt suppliers on Ebay. I have used two of the three and have never paid any duty or VAT - most offer to refund the VAT. I mainly deal with wakerdr-Dewalt tools direct but his delivery is slow (10 to 14days) He has sold about 36500 items on ebay. I got a delivery in 3 days from the USA from Pactinetllc the best service yet.
I have used awaring in the UK (Dewalt discount stores) as well .
What I do is know the price I am prepared to payand either enter that at the start or wait to the last minute - pick the items that expire during the day( not at the weekends - prices are to high) or items that expire after 10pm. It usually takes 10 to 12 bids until I win the item.
I had a 240volt 18v charger but bought another from a Uk supplier( £26 + carraige) I always buy my tools naked ( without barreries) Buy the batteries from the USA.
Hope this helps
Barry
PM me if you want further info

These are the prices before carriage you should be going for.(naked)
DC988 Drill £70
Charger £25-30
DC618 Nailer £170
DC9096 battery £30-35
DC385 Rec saw £45-50
DC390 saw £50
DC410 grinder £45
DC 330 Jig saw £115-125

Hi
I bought a Dewalt DW935 a while back - you can see my review here.
I really like it - but I only really use it as a rough cut saw. Check the capacity for trimming doors - mine wouldn't quite have that depth of cut.
Cheers
Gidon

Don't forget it's more accurate cos the blade is on the correct side for a right handed person so you can see exactly where your cutting.

... and I've noticed it's nearly always a newcomer that restarts ancient posts, I wonder why?

Back