Trickle Vents

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormer1940

Established Member
Reaction score
May seem obvious to some but are trickle vents meant for window frames and door frames or just window frames? When I google it, it seems to point at windows and not doors. :?: :?: :?: :?:

They are not necessarily for either. They are for the room/internal space. You can put them in the wall. In general needed for new internal spaces. If original internal spaces are not already ventilated generally new vents are not needed when changing the windows or doors.

Mark

Original doors are standard with no trickle but then the building was listed so it's still got to be like for like.

So with the understanding of the above comment, in theory I can route a slot and fit them into the top rail of the doors if I'm limited to space in the head of the frame because of render? Only asking incase the council stipulate that they are needed.

Stormer1940" Only asking incase the council stipulate that they are needed.[/quote said:
Just hope they don't, when I used to make windows, I went down the like for like route on a listed building.

Planning kicked off about trickle vents, building control was not bothered either way, the conservation office said no.

At an onsite meeting with the 3 of them, the customer and me, it all got rather heated, the customer and I went and had a coffee and came back 20 minutes later, to find the 3 of them still arguing about it.

In the end the conservation officer won, as building control backed him up.

The planning officer in that town was well know for being a dick, and the building control officer was a realist and a really great guy.

As someone else said if vents were not in the old windows/doors they should not be needed in the new ones.

I live in an old Victorian Gothic school which I converted in to a house. I made some lovely old style casement and sash windows for it but didn't want to spoil them with trickle vents (which it needed because it was classed as a new dwelling). I spoke to the building inspector about how we could get round it expecting him to want another source of ventilation but he just said don't worry about it, he actually suggested if anybody questioned it I could screw some trickle vent covers onto the outside of the windows but not put any holes through then screw them off at a later date! My architect was fuming at the lack of consistency with building control.

Doug

Ive never fitted trickle vents to joinery destined for a listed property.

I would always assume the listed status would take precedence. In any case every job Ive done has required sectional drawings, which never show TVs.

Thanks for the replies guys. Generally I wouldn't either Robin but my customer has asked the question so thought it was best I went
back with an informed answer. :D

I agree with what's been said above. The fact that it's a listed building means that trickle vents (which change the external appearance, for the worse, IMHO) should not be fitted. The listed status probably means that it's draughty enough not to need additional ventilation (and would probably not benefit from being made airtight anyway)!

My understanding of what the actual regs. say is that ventilation must be provided in a room on a basis of Xmm2 per window - HOW that ventilation is provided is not mandated (obviously trickle vents are easy in new build), so a wall vent with a hit/miss louvre (or even a pretend louvre as people invariably block these things up anyway!) correctly sized, would be a perfectly acceptable alternative - if someone insists - and would probably be much more in keeping for a listed property, if done discreetly.

Another scenario that means trickle vents are not required is if MHRV is (retro-)fitted in the room - it provides the equivalent alternative source of fresh air.

I guess the best advice would be to get confirmation in writing from the BCO concerned.

Cheers, W2S

Back