Tri-fold

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiroma

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I plan to make a tri-fold door to fill a frame roughly 77 inches by 28. It will be painted finish so what I would like is some advice on the type of timber best suited for the job. I've used pine before from b n q but always found that its sappy and rarely straight. Its an internal door between kitchen and dining room so I thought maybe frame and panel would be nice. I would appreciate any advice about timber for frame and for the panels and also type of joinery that would be best.

Thank you
Jiroma

Hi Jiroma

recently fitted bi fold doors on a budget, had a quote from local chippy but he wanted 5 grand yes 5 grand in oak. Did a bit of reserch then a very good mate put me onto B&Q premium range, so worked out 4 doors and two frame packs then we got to work. Eventhough the doors are not solid oak they look and finish great. Make sure you get good hardware and make note of the hinge positioning, regarding the infill above we used the remaining timber from the frame packs and I got local sealed unit guy to make up sizes. Finished with liberon wax. I am well pleased with then especially as the whole project came out at less than a grand.
new doors.jpg

Attachments

• new doors.jpg
    new doors.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 191
Very disapointing 120 views and 1 reply. Could I start with just what timber YOU wold use.

Jiroma

Jiroma":195fyhof said:
Hi all, I plan to make a tri-fold door to fill a frame roughly 77 inches by 28. It will be painted finish so what I would like is some advice on the type of timber best suited for the job. I've used pine before from b n q but always found that its sappy and rarely straight. Its an internal door between kitchen and dining room so I thought maybe frame and panel would be nice. I would appreciate any advice about timber for frame and for the panels and also type of joinery that would be best.

Thank you
Jiroma

Avoid B&Q timber if you can. What machinery do you have to process timber?

For painted work, good quality redwood would be fine, or tulipwood/poplar would be better still. You can normally buy redwood in pre machined sections from which you could make your doors, or use 4x2 par cut down or glued up to suit the sections you require.

Really though, it all depends on your kit and skill level, so it's a difficult question to answer.

Unless i'm not understanding you correctly, you are looking at a 3 leafs at just over 9 inched each rather than the style of door that wardroom linked too?

If so, I think you should be looking at getting a solid core door blank, cutting it to size and lipping it with unsorted/joinery grade redwood. You should be able to pick it all up from a local timber merchant. Just go in and ask, they should be able to help you.

FWIW, the price that wardroom was quoted for oak FSD doesn't seem too extravagant to me, a bit ott maybe but i don't know the exact spec.

Is there a mistake with the size of the frame Jiroma as 77"x 28" is very narrow? I can only assume you mean each door is that size? I am in the process of making some Bi fold doors at the moment and have posted it in the projects section. I have used redwood from my tmber merchants to make them with and have used ranel and rail construction for them. Each door is 77" x 29" and will be half glazed. They are constructed using M&T joints and the edges are lipped for draught exclusion. HTH.

Attachments

• Z4 opened out.JPG
    Z4 opened out.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 81
As long as the humidity levels in the kitchen and dining room are similar then good quality redwood will be fine.

Back