Trend T5 with Leigh super jig?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian_in_the_midlands

Established Member
Reaction score
My old trend T4 router let out a bit of smoke today, and although it is still working, it may be getting to the end of its days.
I need to start looking for a replacement.
I am probably going to keep with Trend routers, both because I have Trend guides, and their excellent customer service.

Does anyone use a Trend T5 with their leigh superjig?
Any problems/recommendations etc?
Does it offer much over the T4, to justify the much higher price tag?

I haven't used any of the Trend routers myself, but the T5 & T11 are just evolutions of the original Elu 96 & 177 models. I've used both of these with a Leigh jig with no problems.
In fact pretty much any router capable of taking their guide bushes should be OK, assuming you can adjust the cutter depth correctly and lock it.

With respect to the differences between the T4 & T5, the detail is in the specs. If you're only using it for cutting dovetails there's probably not a lot to choose, but as soon as you take on other tasks the greater power will be helpful and a lot of the conveniences of soft start, nicer fence etc will be welcome.

ian_in_the_midlands":1nkflk1u said:
I am probably going to keep with Trend routers, both because I have Trend guides, and their excellent customer service.
Does anyone use a Trend T5 with their leigh superjig?
Any problems/recommendations etc?
Does it offer much over the T4, to justify the much higher price tag?

I've had a T5 for many years and I love it. I don't do dovetails, I've mostly used it for rounding and trimming jobs and mortices. These days it mostly lives in my home-made rail adaptor ( festool-rail-guide-adapter-anyone-made-one-t83184.html ) for making housings. For me the T5 the perfect size and weight for hand-held work. The motor is fairly quiet, plenty of power for anything that's sensible to do with a 1/4 inch machine, the soft start is great, and the plunge action is smooth. Only 2 things I would change - first the dust collector plastic thing doesn't clip in tightly enough, so if you let the weight of the hose hang on it at any time it tends to unclip and you have to stop the job and clip it back in which is a right PITA. This may have been redesigned in more recent models. Second, I would really like a micrometer depth adjuster like the OF1010 has, the T5 depth adjuster is very basic but does the job ok, again it may have been redesigned on the newer model.

Latest posts

Back