Trend T5 router - intermittent speed wind down

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beekeeper

Reaction score
Good evening Uk Workshop - I am a relative newcomer to the delights of woodworking kit and I should be grateful if someone could offer me advice on an intermittent fault on a Trend T5 router which I have recently purchased second hand. Whilst in use the soft start motor will wind up normally and then run OK - but intermittently the motor will wind down, often to a stop, and then after a couple of seconds wind back up again to the selected speed. This despite the machine being switched on throughout the fault occurrence . I have read some comments that the speed controllers in T5s can be suspect, could anyone advise please?

Thanks

I am no expert but I would start with something simple.

Could this merely be worn brushes or a dirty armature?

I only suggest this as I think they are very easy to check and if that is the cause will save you considerable time and money.

Mick

Thanks Mick

I have not had it to bits yet today's job. It isnt an old machine so brush wear shouldnt be an issue. But thanks for that I will have a look today. I posted to see any other of the multitude of Trend users have had similar problems and it was well known, with a similalrly known fix. Thanks again

It is a characteristic of the machine that it dies if put under too much load. Used to get this all the tine on mine when flush trimming edges. Used to have to stop the cut and wait for the speed to bud back up before recommencing. It's why many say the T5 is under powered and was why I got rid of mine. If it's doing this them
I'm afraid it's normal. If the speed variation happens just when the machine is on but not cutting then it's most likely the speed controller. I had this on a dewalt 625 and the replacement part was about £80. Should be less on the Trend but may still not be economic to repair.

The run down occurs while under load, but often under relatively light load. It is not what you might call a laboured motor run down due over load ie just a reduction in revs down to nil and the motor sounds normal. Just winds down then winds back up - normally, with sods law, just when you are the critical point of any job.

Yep used to happen to mine all the time and seems to be a safety feature to stop you overloading the motor. 2mm per pass absolute max is about all it will do.

Back