Trend, Axcalibur or Wealden Router Cutters?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

=Adam=

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I was given the task of buying a router cutter in work the other day. I was sent to the local supply shop and they sold me a trend cutter for just shy of £25. The cutter was a basic 1/2" shank, 1/2" cut (straight) bit which was double edged/fluted.

I thought this was a bit pricey so I told the "boss" that I was almost certain that I could get them cheaper online. Now I have found that it is possible to buy the same ones online for around £17 plus p&p, however I was wondering what these other brands are like?

Now Axminster have their Axcalibur model for sale @ £12 each and Wealden have their ones @ £16 each. Now Wealden are offering free postage over £15, whereas Axminster want £5 or free for £50 or more.

Now the £50 limit with axi is fine as I have been told to order a couple, plus we could do with some extractor bags, I won't bore you with the rest haha!

Basically would anyone say that the axi cutters or the wealden cutters are the same/better quality than the trend ones?

I nearly forgot to say what they are being used for haha! They are being used to router the strings on stairs, they get quite a bit of use (daily).

Thanks for looking guys! I look forward to your responses :)

I'm also happy with my Wealden router cutters.
=Adam=":3pkfk5zw said:
I was sent to the local supply shop
Was it CNS Powertools in Llansamlet or somewhere else? I've bought tools from CNS and their prices have always been competitive with online companies but their router cutters are very expensive compared to Wealdens.

Mark

I have also used Wealden since mid 80's. If they make it I buy it. Quality, price and service are always v.good. I use Axminster if its on offer, and Trend only if its a profile that Wealden do not manufacture.

Colin

mark aspin":27qurdzm said:
I'm also happy with my Wealden router cutters.
=Adam=":27qurdzm said:
I was sent to the local supply shop
Was it CNS Powertools in Llansamlet or somewhere else? I've bought tools from CNS and their prices have always been competitive with online companies but their router cutters are very expensive compared to Wealdens.

Mark

No I didn't go to cns, I went to Swansea timer and ply. We were working over the road from the shop so it was easier to pop in and just pick one up whilst we were in the area.

Swansea Timber and Plywood! I won't touch them with a barge pole after they quoted me £134/cu ft for PAR Eupoean Oak. I knew PAR was going to be more than sawn timber but that much?

They are not cheap for timber at all! If you are still after some oak then there is a guy in pontardullais who has tonnes of the stuff! We use him all of the time!

I have ordered the cutters from Wealden now, the two cost me £32 (free delivery) whereas two from that shop would have been close to £50, plus an hour to go an pick them up and the fuel involved!

Latest posts

Back