Trend Airpro vs Trend Airshield.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering about the Airshield.... ~£150

AIRSHIELD_xl.jpg

Or the airpro ~£200

AIRPRO.jpg

Is it really worth the extra? I've been wondering about one of these (a powered dust mask) for a couple of years, mostly for routing / sanding, but also on the odd occasions I do something on the lathe.

Anyone any thoughts?

Adam

It looks as though the airpro is a lot lighter therefore more comfortable, I used to wear a similar head mask 13 years ago when I was a fabricator welding heavy steel plate, they are excellent for keeping your lungs healthy but not so good for your neck, so I would say get the smallest and lightest there is.

Martin is right. I have the airshield and prolongued wearing can give you a very achy neck. Having said that, it is the only downside.

If the Airshield is lighter, I would go for it over the more expensive one. Get an extra battery aswell.

I have the Airshield and initially suffered from neck-ache when first using it. Now....not a problem, the neck muscles involved adapt pretty quickly. :wink:

I'm surprised that the new smaller one is heavier, makes you wonder why :?:

I have a Triton power respirator, and I find it a bit heavy, but I don't wear it for hours and hours, I mainly wear it on the lathe when I'm roughing out, or doing a LOT of sanding, but truth be told, not so much with the sanding, as I've rigged a 6" hose to my cyclone that will hang inches away from the lathe headstock, and this gets almost all the dust. I also wear a "Dust Bee Gone" washable dustmask, it works well with the cyclone.

One thing I will say is that I rode big bikes for years, and a full face helmet is not light, and the wind pushing against it is also hard on the neck, but I never had any problems with wearing a full face helmet for extended periods of time.

Whatever you do, your lungs will thank you for getting a good protective system, and using it.

Cheers!

My concern with the Airshield is the continued availability of spare filters, you may be OK for year or 2 but longer than that and I would not be so sure. Trend are complying to the latest EU standards with the AirshieldPro. I would want something to last so if you buy and Airshield buy a lifetimes worth of filters as well or you may find you end up with a machines that is not usable in a couple of years. If you wait a few months I reckon the airshield will drop in price. After all the list price on the Airshield was £165.00 plus vat but you could get it for £149.00

I did a bit more research and on the trend website it says: Now available Feb 2008 due to longer than expected EU certification.

I might have wait a bit longer I think, and as you say, if it superceeds the current model, better to wait in terms of spares etc.

Adam

Not only the weight is impotent. What is even far more important is balance. A 'light' weigth at the front of your head really does stress the neck, but a 'heavy' weight on top of your head is not very much noticable.

I have the Airshield - I like it a lot but have not been overly impressed with the build - few plasticky bits broke within months. And when you flip the mask up it's lethal - one miscaculated turn and you could knock you head off! Well in my workshop at least.
But with the mask down it does do the job admirably. I've seen the pro advertised in the US and will be very interested to hear what it's like.
FWIW - I very much doubt Trend will stop supporting the current model.
Cheers
Gidon

Hi Guys, I would just like to clarify the position for you all,

Here is a statement from our Technical Director:

There has been a change in European standard for power respirators. The old standard EN146 THP2 being replaced by EN12941 THP2, this new standard required a greater filtration efficiency of 98% and banned the use of electrostatic charge filters. After investigation it was found that the new requirements could not be incorporated into the standard AIRSHIELD so it was decided to design a new unit completely, using new tooling. The new unit having double the efficiency when compared to AIRSHIELD. The nominal protection factor increasing from NPF20 to NPF50.

In UK the AIRSHIELD will no longer be available for sale after February 2008. Spare parts will be available for about one year. Spare filters and batteries should be available until 2010. We will not be able to sell electrostatic filters in Europe after this date, although they will still be available in the USA.

The USA does not have a standard for powered respirators so we will continue to sell the AIRSHIELD in the USA along side the new AIR/PRO.

The new model is heavier however the motor assembly has been moved to above the head so the unit is less brow heavy and reduces dry eye. The battery has been moved from the side to the back of the unit for better balance. The new unit has a better centre of gravity.

The new battery is now 8 hours rather than having to purchase a second 4 hour battery, and there is an audible low battery warning alarm.

It is also worth noting that THP2 refers to powered respirators and that a FFP2 rating refers to a disposable mask. A THP1 rating is not the same as THP2. THP1 rating offers half the protection. The filter efficiency of a FFP2 is 90% (10% inward leakage); the AIR/PRO is 98% (2% inward leakage).

The AIR/PRO be available in February 2008. The UK testing house approval process has taken longer than originally planned.

I hope this clarifies the situation with AIRSHIELD and AIR/PRO and would like to thank you for your feedback,

regards,

andy@trend

Andy thanks for the information.

This will be the second time I will have to bin a perfectly good respirator (Racal/3M being the first one) when the company has stopped selling spares. Alright when Trend stop selling the filters over here I could import them from the US, but I should not have too. Are we going to see a discount on these filters as a gesture of goodwill, or what about one if we buy the new AIR/PRO and hand in our old one?

I also hope that Trend will be informing customers who buy the Airshield between now and February that spares will stop being produced in the very near future. Unreasonable? Maybe, but even car manufacturers continue selling spares for 10 years after the model is discontinued.

Cheers

Mike

Well said, Mike. In the light of Andy's post, I shall think twice before buying Trend products again.

Gill

That's a bit harsh, as they have been legislated out of service.

Hi Mike C,

I think if you read the post again you will realise that EU legislation will prevent the sale of such filters and that your comments are unfounded,

As a responsible British company we have to comply with legislation,

this is not a matter of whether we as a manufacturer are/are not supporting our product, we do not have a choice,

we cannot sell the filters in the EU once the final date is reached !

It is precisely this kind of misinformation of the facts and is the main reason for signing up to this and other forums,

Trend will continue to supply the quality and support on all our products where it is legal to do so,

regards,

andy@trend

Andy@Trend,

It is precisely this kind of misinformation that twists the facts and is the main reason for signing up to this and other forums,

What misinformation are you talking about?

I am cheesed off that for the second time I will either have to bin a perfectly good respirator, or import spares from the USA. How am I misinforming anyone, I am stating a fact.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike C,

I was referring to your post which implies 'Trend stop selling...',

which in fact would be more accurate as 'the EU legislation prevents Trend from selling...',

we have no choice,

I understand that you have had a bad experience with RACAL and in an ideal world we would be only too pleased to carry on producing the filters for 10 years, unfortunately , we cannot.

The introduction of the AIR/PRO is the way forward, with further product advancements as well as filters that meet the new EU spec.

regards,

andy@trend

personally, I didn't vote to be European :) but I guess we're stuck with it,

Hi Andy,

Yes I realise that it is the EU, but that does not get away from the fact that anyone that purchased one of your airshield yesterday will have a respirator that will soon be useless, and I am sure that neither Trend nor their agents have told these people this.
Also will you be telling those that buy the airshield before February these facts? Do not forget there are many people who do not use the internet.

As I said the least Trend can do is as a gesture of goodwill is sell off their filters cheaper, so that those who have already got the Airshield can make it last a bit longer.

Cheers

Mike[/quote]

My Airshield is only is about 6 months old,£160, and i am really disappointed with this announcment :evil:
Does this also mean that the filters weren't upto the job to start with.Have i also been breathing in unecessary dust :?:
Can't filters be made to suit the Airshield. :?:
Paul.J.

Back