tree identification?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adidat

I will not buy anymore tools...
Reaction score
hi guys

this tree might be coming down, want to know wether its worth my time. any ideas?

IMAG0295-1.jpg

IMAG0296.jpg

IMAG0297.jpg

thanks in advance

adidat

Leaves look like Field Maple but the bark looks too "snakey" still looks like a Maple to me though. How big is it? I guess not as big as the photo makes it look?

Forget what I said. Go with Field Maple. I think the leaves are just slightly atypical.

The leaves are different (though similar) Jen

Liriodendron_tulipifera_750_500.jpg

The Tulip Tree leaf has two points either side of core leaf vein whereas this has one...like Maple

Jim

It's not a field maple, there's one of these in my parents garden though can't remember what it's called, found in many garden centres though. Will have a look to see if I can find it

Ironballs":1xkt44hl said:
It's not a field maple, there's one of these in my parents garden though can't remember what it's called, found in many garden centres though. Will have a look to see if I can find it

I agree with Ironballs as field maples have toothed lobes on the leaves, it is a Montpelier Maple, which comes with 3 or 5 lobed leaves. However, I think that its wood properties will be similar to field maple as it is classed in the same family as field and tartar maples

Simon

Is it possible it's Liquidambar, which has that leaf shape? Not sure what the bark is like, but if it's in a garden, they are often grown for spectacular autumn colour.

Tenon":1010zoys said:
Ironballs":1010zoys said:

I agree with Ironballs as field maples have toothed lobes on the leaves, it is a Montpelier Maple, which comes with 3 or 5 lobed leaves. However, I think that its wood properties will be similar to field maple as it is classed in the same family as field and tartar maples

Simon

It's not Montpellier maple - looking at ID they have 3 smooth, rounded lobed leaves which are quite small.

The leaves in the OP's post have enough of a toothed lobe to suggest field maple or perhaps a cultivar of it.

dickm":295hmhs5 said:
Is it possible it's Liquidambar, which has that leaf shape? Not sure what the bark is like, but if it's in a garden, they are often grown for spectacular autumn colour.

I don't think it's Liquidambar Dick. The lobes are pointy I think which these are not.

To me, this looks like a common or garden 'Field Maple', specimens of which to the best of my knowledge, don't grow all that big. I think the timber though, ought to be quite useful, even if it's a bit on the small side - Rob

dickm has it, I remember seeing the label in the garden centre and remarking on it. They grow pretty quickly too

thanks for all the help guys, my plan is to get it to yandles, any idea how much they charge for cutting

woodbloke":nch9t7h2 said:
I think the timber though, ought to be quite useful, even if it's a bit on the small side - Rob

is it :wink: :wink:

adidat

just a quickie - looking through my Collins Tree Guide, it cant be liquidambar (sweet gum), as their leaf edges are toothed. And the image above isnt :(
Apparently the sap from a field maple is milky, so snap a leaf and see.
Looking through the book, field maple seems closest.....

Adam S

Anything like?

acer_campestre_field_maple_tree_leaf_20-09-08.jpg

acer_campestre_field_maple_tree_leaf_22-09-06.jpg

Admittedly these are the only pictures I could find of field maple leaves that look like the OP's.
They vary immensely from looking much more pointy like more typical maple when young and less waxy. Also the bumps and divisions vary greatly .. sometimes they look like particularly big Hawthorne leaves.
It's just that I've cut an AWFUL lot of old hedges and that's what it first looked like to me.

Free?

There are eleven genus of maple in America. This is our only native (if Sycamore has not muscled onto the list) . It's probably smaller and tighter grained. Good stuff I would imagine.

Back