Treated Timber advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPoles

Reaction score
Hi,

A neighbour has asked me to make her a new small door for her cellar entrance. I was thinking of making a ledge door similar to what is already there out of treated tongue and groove. However for the frame Im not sure to use.

Can I just use a regular 4x2 and trim off the rounded edges to give me a sort of PSE or will this then need treating again to protect it?

Thanks
Tom

Many suppliers these days don't supply "regular 4x2" any more. Many only supply CLS (which is what I think you meant........PSE is planed square edge which doesn't have rounded arrises). In theory, anything you cut or plane from a piece of treated timber should be re-treated. Cut ends are easy (there's normally a bucket of the treatment stuff, and cut ends get dipped in it briefly, then put aside to dry for a while). Brushing it individually onto longer cuts or profiling will be fine for a little job like yours, but would be a pain in the neck on a building site.

Regular 4" x 2" won't have rounded edges, that's CLS. You'd just as well use untreated timber - treated stuff is horrible to work and all the joints and cut ends need treating anyway if you want the thing to last more than months. Pay a bit more for decent timber - you'll save working time, make the job more pleasant and the end result better.

Latest posts

Back