Transporting Machinery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveM
The Saw is near Buxton in Derbyshire
I am near Shaftesbury in Dorset

Wildman,
The saw weighs approximately 850Kg
From me, the distance to the saw is approximately 235 miles, from you approximately 277 miles.

Beech,
Thanks for thee idea, and if the sale was the other way around, I would definitely consider offering that but...
Following on from Mark A's comment about getting the seller to do it would be the obvious choice, (but I still didn't think of it :) ). Unfortunately, the seller seems a little grumpy to be honest and wants as little to do with the sale as possible- asking for dimensions of the actual saw seemed like a big ask! :oops:

Mark A
The current quote is based on using a high top van, so to be sure I asked the driver and he was sure that he had a van tall enough to accommodate it plus a pallet. -He also said that he has access to a flat bed though :wink:
Calling steel suppliers sounds like a good plan though, -thanks!

Thanks for the Landylift suggestion,
I think it was DickM who suggested that earlier and who I emailed -a very helpful chap, but more expensive again :(

Thanks all for the suggestions and comments, it is much help!

wizard":1tno01tp said:
It would have been helpful with all the correct information at the start. I assume its three phase and if it is do you have three phase or is the motor small enough for an inverter? Also is it duel voltage as 400v inverters can get expensive, my 3hp was over £400.00

Sorry Wizard, but I forgot to include a couple things :? -Fair enough they were quite important for people on here offering quotes etc but I hadn't thought of that as a possible solution when I posted originally.

-No offence, but I haven't actually asked about connecting it up to a supply, or using an inverter...
...If I had, it is some useful information you have given.

(Edited for spellings...)

would it be possible to hire a hi top van and collect it yourself, enterprise do a hi top van for £44 a day

Harry_J,

First of all the idea of dismantling the saw will sound difficult as I see from your reaction. Its not.

The difficult bit is 1) having the right imperial size spanners and sockets. ( Maybe find someone from here near by) 2) Recording the steps to dismantle with a camera and being disciplined about it. 3) having the courage to turn the first nut off...its easy after that.

A web site in the US called OWWM.org is made up of guys who do this sort of thing on a daily basis with little or no knowledge.

Other than spanners what do you need.....a) Possibly a parts diagram b) some plastic bags and felt tip pens to label them c) some sticky and tie on labels

Then get up there and take it apart yourself.

Failing that then try this site....http://www.uship.com/uk/ or ones like it covering the UK. The companies bid against each otyher to get your business.

PS If you hire a van make sure it has a tail lift which can hoist at least 1000kg. You will need a least 2 of you to move it plus some stell pipes to roll it on, some straps to hold it down or you will need to lay it down after removing the table. good luck

If you do take it apart for transport,can i suggest you take a series of pictures to aid in putting it back together.

following my suggestion of van hire and collect it yourself, if the seller and you have fork lifts(telehandlers) then hiring a flat bed or tipper might be a better/easier option. saw on pallet pushed against the headboard of the van(easy with a telehandler) and then easy to strap down as the straps can also hold it against the headboard

http://www.google.co.uk/url?url=http:// ... wmXL1KoC9Q

these have a good selection of vehicles

Flying Haggis,
I am not sure if the vans Enterprise hire out would be tall enough?! -I would prefer to secure the saw upright rather than on its side so that the motor housing or adjusters or the table aren't as vulnerable to be broken or damaged
Just seen your next post -I think a flat bed would be better than a van, for both loading and securing as you say.
Thanks for the link, they do indeed have a fair few vehicles!

Beech,
To be fair, its not the dismantling of the saw which I fear, and I'm pretty sure I have all the imperial sockets and spanners I would need, but I am not sure if the seller would have these items and without going all the way up there myself, in which case I may as well take a van I suppose, I can't see dismantling it is really going to work. As I mentioned earlier, the seller doesn't really want anything much to do with removing the saw except for loading it onto the delivery vehicle... as for getting him to photograph it -I think he would just re sell the saw and send me a refund!
If all else fails, I may go and pick the saw up myself, in which case I will be sure to take what you mention, especially the felt marker as that is something I would have been bound to forget!
-I don't know if I would need a tail life as the telehandler should be able to manage once it is on a pallet, but if I did do this, I would probably take one just in case!

Mark B,
Thanks for the photograph suggestion, -good idea!

Thanks again everyone,
Harry

hi harry
as i said if you hire a flatbed/tipper the sides and tailgate drop down so a telehandler could load the saw and put it right up against the front of the loadbed where it would be easy to strap down. if you were nearer to me I have several ratchet straps that you could borrow to secure it but..., if you do get a van and it is stood against the headboard dont go under any low bridges without knowing the overall height of the van and load, easy to forget about something sticking up above the van roof level.

Palletways will transport items over 2.2m, you would need to contact the agent closest to the seller and explain the situation, but we have moved a number of items over that height via them. They should also do the transport for under £60, we paid £37 + VAT for the last tall item we moved.

Hi Flying Haggis,

A flat bed would be ideal, its just weighing up if it would actually be economic for me to collect it myself, or if it would be better to send a haulier. -This obviously depends on the quotes I receive!
Although to be fair, it would be a lot less stress if I did pick it up myself -no worrying if someone else has secured it properly etc...

Jackss,
Thanks for the info on Palletways , I'll be honest and say I haven't actually heard of them. :oops:
How far did you move the items, 37+VAT sounds very cheap! :shock:

Latest posts

Back