trainee/apprentice opportunities?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ex-Counsel

Established Member
Reaction score
I've recently been given the best opportunity I will likely ever get to retrain into something I would much rather be doing with my life. At 30 years old I have been working in pubs and fell into the social care sector, currently working for the local authority. The job isn't terrible but I'm not so eager to spend the next 40 years at a desk using phrases like "catch up" and "moving forwards".

I'm wondering if there are any opportunities to train with cabinet makers local to Gloucestershire (travel within the county isn't necessarily an issue) that would be willing to take on a mature apprentice. I have drafted an email to send to the places that Google has provided me but I'm fairly certain it would be better to call or visit. I'm keen to learn and have put a lot of time into learning the theory, I've been working on a few things and also spent some time at the local men's shed though not for a couple of months due to having a new arrival in the family and free time being a luxury I don't have at the moment.
I would be eternally grateful for any advice.

Cheers,

David

I think you will struggle to get work with a Cabinet maker, better to open up the scope to carpentry & or joinery, & can you live on minimum wage?

I thought as much to be honest. Just trying my luck I suppose!

Fortunately, my family and I would be fine on minimum wage for a while. I was lucky enough to get a pay out on life Insurance, meaning we no longer have a mortgage to pay (massive relief). This is what has given me the opportunity to change career paths.

Look up any relevant Companies near you, then write down what you want to say. An hour later, read it through and add/ change any bits as necessary.
Go see the first one in person, say your bit and see what happens. If it's a no, ask them if they could critique your approach, you might get some good tips for your next attempt. Before you leave, ask them if they know of anyone who might be open to hiring you....

Thanks Baldkev, much appreciated. I have a draft email sat ready that I've reread a couple of times now. I think I'll do a final draft before sending it.

Look up any relevant Companies near you, then write down what you want to say. An hour later, read it through and add/ change any bits as necessary.
Go see the first one in person, say your bit and see what happens. If it's a no, ask them if they could critique your approach, you might get some good tips for your next attempt. Before you leave, ask them if they know of anyone who might be open to hiring you....
Also not just say your bit, ask about them, what they make, show interest in the jobs on the assembly table etc etc ..
Show your keen to learn and clued up will help too.

I’d pop around to any of the building sites, hard hat, safety boots, high visible vest, ear defenders and gloves on so they let you on site armed with a packet of the good biccies and ask around / chat with the blokes. People employ / recommend people they like. It may take visiting a few sites, and I’d start off happy to labour at anything as you will meet all the trades and build up relationships. Once people see your reliable, hard working and not from the communist party of the jobs worthy brigade or wokey you should find an opportunity fairly quickly.

Last edited:
I'd go to a good technical college and get a carpentry or joinery NVQ, then ask around.
This might be an option. However, I would still have to work out the logistics of earning some money on the side and balancing family life too- something is likely going to be sacrificed short term though.

Also not just say your bit, ask about them, what they make, show interest in the jobs on the assembly table etc etc ..
I absolutely agree, and would without doubt be doing this. I find the craft fascinating enough as it is, let alone being able to see a professional set up. Having the opportunity to build relationships with people in the business as well as gaining more knowledge would be a win in and of itself.
I’d pop around to any of the building sites, hard hat, safety boots, high visible vest, ear defenders and gloves on so they let you on site armed with a packet of the good biccies and ask around / chat with the blokes. People employ / recommend people they like. It may take visiting a few sites, and I’d start off happy to labour at anything as you will meet all the trades and build up relationships. Once people see your reliable, hard working and not from the communist party of the jobs worthy brigade or wokey you should find an opportunity fairly quickly.
Definitely a good idea, and worth exploring. I've got a labourer for a neighbour so may even speak with him about doing something like this.

Thanks for all the advice!

This might be an option. However, I would still have to work out the logistics of earning some money on the side and balancing family life too- something is likely going to be sacrificed short term though.
It would show a potential employer that you're serious and I would imagine that it could be achieved at evening classes or weekends.

It would show a potential employer that you're serious and I would imagine that it could be achieved at evening classes or weekends

There's bound to be something of that kind. At the moment, I've looked into the local college but level 2 carpentry is a full time course. There's potential to do it if I work some evenings and weekends in a pub or some such. It's a pretty delicate balancing act I reckon.

+1.

An interview is a 2 way street, you need to make sure you don't end up working for turds\similar people (unless you really want to).

Look for red flags - like you would in every day life, i.e. are they rude to other staff, see how they walk, their body language - everyone gives things away. Except for actors and psychopaths but they might be one and the same. :D

That course would be absolutely perfect. Thanks again for your help. This plan is really beginning to take shape!

on the subject of interviews and employers, I completely agree. I've had my fair share of rotten bosses and had a few interviews where I've walked away based on my gut feeling.

On the college side of things a level 2 over a one year course was only a couple of days a week last I knew, you're likely to find some of the local employers do actually have a relationship with the college in regards to taking on students, at the very least the lecturers should have some ideas of who's who's and maybe where you would fit in.

A bonus of college would also be getting real life experience in a machine shop that will be in many cases better equipped than most joinery shops, my local college has an eye watering amount of kit and having experience in a shop will definitely help you come across better walking in for a face to face with any potential employer.

IMO unless you want general carpentry as a fall back incase joinery doesn't work out I would aim to get on a bench joinery course or furniture making. carpentry level 2 will be scribing skirting maybe fitting linings and swinging doors, you'd be next to useless in a production shop, as far as I know you'd scarcely enter the machine room.

If you could get on a course and find a joinery shop open on Saturdays maybe they would be willing to let you work cheaply on a Saturday as that would likely be a more relaxed atmosphere than weekdays, they certainly are in Cornwall :ROFLMAO:

In regards to a building site its a bit harder to gauge, it varies wildly from site to site and from builder to builder my advise would be to get an introduction via your neighbour that way you can be expected when you turn up and mentally whomever you are meeting will have time alotted to talk to you.
Failing that i would turn up early, generally speaking people on site early are more likely the kind of people you want to talk to, it shows that you are up early as well and come across more productive, during the day people are busy either dealing with issues or usually working on price. No one wants to waste their break talking to you and at the end of the day they want to get home. As others have said have suitable ppe, maybe rub it in the dirt a bit prior to going, new kit stands out let alone a whole outfit!

Best of luck, it can be a rewarding line of work and more flexible than other industries with a great variety, my best advice would be to get lucky and find someone really good to learn from, good habits pay dividends in this job, bad habits make your life harder.

I used to run the furniture making course in Cheltenham and then Gloucester, sorry to say they have now both closed. Gloucestershire College may still be running the carpentry and joinery courses at the docks site on Llanthony Rd. Otherwise try Stroud for carpentry or Hereford for Furniture courses.

There are some very good kitchen making workshops around the area and you may stand a better chance getting a position in those, pure bespoke furniture making workshops may be a steeper challenge.

Taking on someone with limited experience can be difficult to small businesses but most bosses will appreciate a new hardworking dedicated member of staff, if you have the skills and work well within their team hopefully you can stay and grow. Getting through the door can be the most difficult step, possibly offering to work free for a couple of days might get you in. If they think you have potential they may take you on, if you think they are bad employers you can walk away.

This approach worked for me many years ago and the rest is history.

Cheers

Peter

Heres an idea.... search for cabinet makers and joinery shops in your area on instagram etc. You could potentially contact them through insta asking if you can go round to meet them?
Dont hit 'like' for every post theyve put up though, you'll come across as a weird stalker 😆

Back