• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Traditional Wooden House Name Signs.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Toydesigner

Established Member
Reaction score
As mentioned in my previous post, I also design and make genuine hand Crafted Wooden Signs, & designs for numerous clients here in South Australia,- ever receive the occasional order from Sydney,( NSW ), which is about 1,500 km from where I live here at Port Vincent I will have a go at including a photo of a sample signboard as it shows several differing lettering styles I use,
The large lettering is cut by hand using my Trend Router fitted with a 6mm ( 1/4" ) straight bit, set to 6mm.( 1/4" ), depth. while the finer lettering, is cut using my power-carver in a mini-router base, & fitted with an engraving bit, Another lettering style I use is simply cut on my Hegner Scroll Saw, and glued onto the baseboard, or simply painted on using quality paints.
I have my own Alphabet templates of varying dimensions. I do NOT use any actual template guides, as have found themplate guides are only suitable for some things only,-
and by the time I fiddle round trying to set one up,- it is heaps easier for me to cut the sign free-hand,- and, more enjoyable too !!!!
*** IF there is sufficient global interest,- I like to have a go with teaching others this skill using the internet,- I think i will need some advice and assistance here as to how to set everything up. ( Perhaps the chairman of the board of directors can lend a helping hand, and some helpful advice, etc. )
'ave a good day, & happy woodworking,
Roger

Attachments

twothumbs

Established Member
Reaction score
That is a very honourable intention and offer. I am sure there will be a lot of interest. The gloss has long since come off plastic stuff. Good on you sport,......is that correct and do people speak like that?

Best wishes.

Toydesigner

Established Member
Reaction score
Three replies all in a short time !! Two via this site,- one direct to me, also via this site
All are encouraging me to have a go at teaching others How to do it.i enjoy working with genuine wood. It has character. It is alive. It has natural beauty.
Plastic is, well simply plastic,- artificial, man-made stuff, that looks and feels artificial, and can never take the place of real, genuine timber.

I have a website which you are welcome to visit. it has heaps of info on the mainpage, and a selection of work photos I have done for clients at the bottom of the mainpage;-
Shall put it here in good faith, and sincerely hope I don't get shot for doing so;-
www.easysell.com.au/woodensignsanddesigns

Next problem is how to successfully set up an Internet-based Correspondence Course to teach others how to learn to make their own Wooden Signs and Designs.
I have done hands-on teaching here in my Port Vincent workshop over the years,- Internet teaching is a bit different I think,- so will require some helpful advice here, along with what to charge those who wish to learn, as it will take me a bit more than," five minutes," to show interested woodworkers How to make their very own Wooden Sign/s,
also to supply technical back-up when things don't go according to plan !! ( Murphy's law )
'ave a good day, & happy woodworking,
Roger

Attachments