Traditional Japanese house building

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossJarvis

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just been watching this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3at1K-SzCk

Houses first 8 mins or so, other stuff after. Fascinating, what seems additionally interesting is that I don't think the Japanese ever used angled/triangulated bracing, which may have been due to allowing the buildings to "move" during earthquakes.

Seems a bit dodgy to me, particularly when you look at the logs that the roof is made of. Wouldn't fancy that falling down on me.

I like the way they can disasemble a building and rebuild it easily, the accuracy of their joinery is stunning, I've yet to see better joinery anywhere.

Japan is the most extraordinary country to visit. We will be going back for a month in 2017. Last time I went (a month 2 years ago) I did a week course on knife marking and 2 days smithing for a swordmaker - my wife participated too. The tradition of artisan craftsmanship is very much alive in Japan but we see it much less here. I mourn the loss of craft skills in England. I am hoping to do a woodworking course in Japan next time.

Simple building design is a real art. They are of course earthquake central.

AJB Temple":3oua1k4o said:
Japan is the most extraordinary country to visit. We will be going back for a month in 2017. Last time I went (a month 2 years ago) I did a week course on knife marking and 2 days smithing for a swordmaker - my wife participated too. The tradition of artisan craftsmanship is very much alive in Japan but we see it much less here. I mourn the loss of craft skills in England. I am hoping to do a woodworking course in Japan next time.

I certainly envy you.
I've always wanted to go to Japan!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LFS19":g5pi80dg said:
AJB Temple":g5pi80dg said:

I certainly envy you.
I've always wanted to go to Japan!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

same lol but we can start saving now.

Back