Staining wood components of rigging to match the miniature model

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrankoNYC

Reaction score
Hi all, I was requested to make a wood staining video for a model building page, after I finished uploading it I realied that some people here might like to see it too

It is important for the aesthetics of and authentic feel of your model ship that all raw surfaces are stained to match the original colour, and not have one element looking glaringly different from the others. Even if it seems a small thing that many will not notice, you will know and you will not be satisfied with your project.
Here in this video, I am using a traditional stain/dye...black tea. It has been used for hundreds of years to stain and dye all sorts of things. Today we use it here to stain the small wooden parts that are secured to the ship. The rigging thread I have used is dark, soo that it complements the dark stain on the hull and decking I have made. This creates a weathered, authentic look on all parts of the model.
Depending on how dark you want the stain, you can merely dip it in the black tea, or leave the parts in the liquid for a few seconds or minutes longer. Be sure to dry them completely, before you add them to your rigging.
securing your bullseyes to the rigging can be a little fiddly, but keep going, keep trying, eventually you will do it easily.
Thread it onto your rope and move it into position. Tie a knot. Then, create a loop and hook it over the bulleseye, pull the rope to tension, do the same again, until you have completed five such loops, securing each at the base of the bullseye. Then ,move on to the next one. it is a process, but with practice, you will, like me, get muscle memory and your hands can complete the task for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZp...qQeWs-rMM&index=9&ab_channel=BrankoStipanovic

Very nice work Branko (y)not sure my sausage fingers could manage those tiny bits, will look forward to seeing her fully rigged :)

Latest posts

Back