Track Saws. What point am I missing?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got my 55r from Shaws electrical in Croydon. He says they've been flying off shelves and some people bought them whilst I was just drooling over the festool section of the shop. Have to wait to get to Italy before I can play though :cry:

I finally took the plunge and bought a TS55 about three weeks ago to assist with a few large projects that I had lined up. Since I wanted to handle the saw before handing over a considerable amount of my hard earned I visited Kernow Fixings in St Austell, they hadn't yet received their allocation of 'Rs' but had already pre sold all of them, since I wanted it now I settled for the outgoing model.

As long as you mark or visualise the waste side of the cut you should have no problems. If the cut is narrow I use additional stock under the track to maintain balance; once this is set (using the track clamps) I have managed multiple accurate repeat cuts by removing the cut piece and then sliding the stock under the track using the additional stock as a fence. The quality of the cut both sides of the blade is very impressive. I have become a green and black fanboy overnight.

I have had no problems with operating it left handed at all thus far.

I was going to invest in a second 1400mm track and connectors but found the 2700mm rail for £120 at Toolfest - I don't know if the offer is still on since I can't access the site at work but the service was great, received an e-mail with a 1 hour delivery window and the rail packaged in a wooden shipping crate.

I am still waiting for Axy, but so far still out of stock. I could go D&M, but they don't do delivery free... And I can be as tight s a tight thing. :wink:

Slingers in Preston are still showing them in stock with free next day delivery. Also have some package deals with Festool extractors.

Got to say though having used my Makita and a friends TS55R back to back yesterday I certainly don't regret my choice.

Got it from Axy yesterday.

21 hours between ordering and delivery. Can't complain about that then.

I thought the saw was a bit noisy, but research tells me that's normal and is to do with the gearing for the speed control. Surprisingly, I have space to use this in the shop for breaking down sheets up to three feet by 4 feet.

Now I think I should get a shop-vac. :roll: My present ex domestic vacuum-cleaner is not going to cope! Here we go! The slope beckons. :shock:

Benchwayze":1g7vs4b2 said:
Now I think I should get a shop-vac. :roll: My present ex domestic vacuum-cleaner is not going to cope! Here we go! The slope beckons. :shock:

The LOML bought me one of these for my birthday and my only regret is that I didn't get one long ago. When I first used it I wondered whether it was working properly because it is so quiet, and the auto switching is just great with the TS55 and Domino.

RogerM":36vue5qg said:
Benchwayze":36vue5qg said:

The LOML bought me one of these for my birthday and my only regret is that I didn't get one long ago. When I first used it I wondered whether it was working properly because it is so quiet, and the auto switching is just great with the TS55 and Domino.

Thanks Roger,
One assumes the hoses are interchangeable.
I just had a coughing fit over the price of a Festool hose. Even the cheepie version! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yep - the hose supplied with the Nilfisk fits the TS55 and Domino, as well as my Bosch SCMS. It's a lovely piece of kit. I opted for the more expensive Alto Attix 30 as I'll be working in MDF on a forthcoming kitchen build, and the filters are designed for the job, otherwise I might have spent a little less and got the cheaper Aero 25. However, I've learned the hard way to buy the right tool for the job rather than a cheap alternative which I end up ditching and replacing with what I should have bought in the first place, by which time it's gone up in price! DAMHIKT.

RogerM":3od79awo said:
Yep - the hose supplied with the Nilfisk fits the TS55 and Domino, as well as my Bosch SCMS. It's a lovely piece of kit. I opted for the more expensive Alto Attix 30 as I'll be working in MDF on a forthcoming kitchen build, and the filters are designed for the job, otherwise I might have spent a little less and got the cheaper Aero 25. However, I've learned the hard way to buy the right tool for the job rather than a cheap alternative which I end up ditching and replacing with what I should have bought in the first place, by which time it's gone up in price! DAMHIKT.

Many Thanks Roger.

:D

Yes, once you have the vac you may as well get everything, that's why I haven't bought it... Btw, any good? ;-)

wcndave":1iv2t8hg said:
Yes, once you have the vac you may as well get everything, that's why I haven't bought it... Btw, any good? ;-)

If you mean the saw Dave, it cuts like a dream! And nowhere near so noisy overall as most circular saws. It has a funny 'growling' tone, but I am told that's normal, because of the speed control meshing. If they're all the same then I ain't not worried none! :D

I was kind of joking that I haven't got the vac as it starts the slope, however was enquiring whether the vac was any good as I might get one!

I have the saw however not used yet as waiting for my things from storage to be delivered to Italy... Looking forward to it, was cutting panels today and was a real pain.

Well, I suppose I joked a bit about the slope!

I don't believe any one manufacturer has the final answer for 'every tool'. But I do like to have the best I can afford of tools that I want. So my tools span the spectrum for makers' names. (A Domino of course can only be a Festool, but whether or not I need one is up for debate!)

I used a 'Wood Magazine' home-made MDF guide for a circular saw for long enough, and it was well and good. But the finished edges of the panels were only as good as the blade on my saw. Plus the fact that eventually the guides wear and lose their accuracy. (One reason I made the saw guide strip moveable. I just moved it back a few mm and cut a new reference edge. But in the end I went for a track saw proper.)

We shall have to see how long before I need a new edge strip. :D

The edge strips last a quite a long time especially if you just use the one blade and always cut at 90 degrees. Even when they do get a bit ragged it isn't an undue problem unless you are trying to cut something like mft where you wan to avoid any chipping. When you do need to replace, buy the 5000mm splinter guard as it will do 3 1400 rails and is more cost effective in the longer term. For the extractors, I wouldn't be without mine - especially useful for site work as you can clip sustainers to the top. Also the hose connection is the best I've used - all my tools power tools (not just festool) connect to it without any issues. I'd contact Axminster and see if they will do you a deal on an extractor - as Chippy mentioned - as you've just bought the saw from them.

promhandicam":3btqjd2p said:
The edge strips last a quite a long time especially if you just use the one blade and always cut at 90 degrees. Even when they do get a bit ragged it isn't an undue problem unless you are trying to cut something like mft where you wan to avoid any chipping. When you do need to replace, buy the 5000mm splinter guard as it will do 3 1400 rails and is more cost effective in the longer term. For the extractors, I wouldn't be without mine - especially useful for site work as you can clip sustainers to the top. Also the hose connection is the best I've used - all my tools power tools (not just festool) connect to it without any issues. I'd contact Axminster and see if they will do you a deal on an extractor - as Chippy mentioned - as you've just bought the saw from them.

Thanks Prom.
It sounds as though it will save me a fortune in Gaffa Tape, to get a good seal on the connectors then. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back