track saw setup

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomf

Established Member
Reaction score
On a track saw should the blade be parallel with the track or have a slight angle?

My blade it slightly angled away from the track so it's defecting the blade and I get burn marks and a none straight cut. I don't seem to be able to get it parallel I don't have enough adjust on it.

Theory is there should be a very slight angle towards the track so the teeth at the front make the cut but the teeth at the back are just clear of the cut so don't cause any problems like burning!

What track saw have you got?
On the festool you can adjust the toe in by slackening off some screws underneath. There should be plenty of adjustment.

Saw set up makes a big difference. Mine is a Mafell. Good sharp blade, very secure and accurate saw mount in track with no slop. Even pressure through cut and let the saw do the work - don't "force" it or rush. Get the track secure. Zero burn marks and no break out. Practice helps.

I had a look at my own low-end tracksaw. There are 4 hex bolts holding the main body of the saw to the base plate. There may be enough play in the holes which the bolts pass through before engaging the threads in the base plate for the main body to be slightly adjusted. Just a thought, I'm sure that the experienced professionals who are members of this forum will come up with a more informed opinion.
Regards, Paul

Doug71":o3u8dl3f said:
Theory is there should be a very slight angle towards the track so the teeth at the front make the cut but the teeth at the back are just clear of the cut so don't cause any problems like burning!

Is that right? Surly if it toes in it would burnt the wast side. I am new to tracksaws and not checked how mine is set up but surprised that it would set anything other than perfectly parallel.

Beau":385p1947 said:
Doug71":385p1947 said:

Is that right? Surly if it toes in it would burnt the wast side. I am new to tracksaws and not checked how mine is set up but surprised that it would set anything other than perfectly parallel.

Festool recommend a toe in of 0.15 mm, see page 22 of the supplemental manual.

https://service.festoolusa.com/media/pd ... Manual.pdf

Thank you everyone.
It's titan saw, I run on makita tracks. I have to say for the price I think it's fantastic and it's done a lot of work.
I've managed to get it parallel and toed it in slightly with a little 'light' persuasion (hammer)

Doug71 said:
Beau said:
Doug71 said:

Festool recommend a toe in of 0.15 mm, see page 22 of the supplemental manual.

https://service.festoolusa.com/media/pd ... Manual.pdf

My Triton arrived badly adjusted and burning good side. This is the advice from Triton tech help and has cured the problem - Do a very slight toe out “fag paper” at rear of blade from finished edge , that should solve it

Back